"The firm did a great job on creating a comfortable environment, and making us feel welcome."
Chris Weathers Associate | Portland
"DWT gives Summer Associates a lot of opportunity to try other areas in law."
Melanie Broome Associate | Portland
"The work at DWT teaches me things I didn’t learn in law school and every day is a new experience."
Laura-Lee Williams Associate | Seattle
Our attorneys travel to several campuses every year, searching for passionate and team-oriented Summer Associates. If you are unable to attend any of the in-person events, we still want to hear from you, so please visit our online application site if you wish to apply. Check out our FAQs for more information about our hiring process.
On-Campus Interview Schedule
We have completed all 2017 On-Campus Interviews at this time.
2017 On-Campus Interview Schedule
- Columbia Law School - 08.03.17
- UC Berkeley School of Law - 08.03.17
- New York University School of Law - 08.09.17
- Georgetown University Law Center - 08.10.17
- Seattle University School of Law - 08.15.17
- Willamette University College of Law - 08.15.17
- Stanford Law School - 08.16.17
- University of Oregon School of Law - 08.16.17
- University of Washington School of Law - 08.17.17
- Lewis & Clark Law School - 08.22.17
- Northwest Minority Job Fair – 08.19.17
Although we are done with On-Campus Interviews and job fairs for this season, our online application site is open until August, 31 (Historically, half of our summer class comes from non-OCI schools.)
To ensure you have a complete application packet, we ask that you include the following information:
- Cover letter
- Current resume
- Copy of your law transcript (unofficial is fine)
- Copy of your complete undergraduate transcript (unofficial is fine)
- List of two or three references, one of whom should be a person qualified to comment on your law school work.
If you are in town, please mention it to us in your cover letter!
1L Diversity SCHOLARSHIP
Our 1L Diversity Scholarship Program is one significant way to help us advance diversity in the legal profession. We offer six scholarships in the following offices: Los Angeles (1), New York (2), Portland (1), Seattle (1), and Washington, D.C. (1). As a 1L Diversity Scholarship recipient, you will receive a paid position in our Summer Associate Program and $10,000 for your second year tuition and expenses.
1L PATENT PROSECUTION SCHOLARSHIP
We offer one patent prosecution scholarship in our Seattle office, which consists of a paid summer associate position and $10,000 for the student’s second-year tuition and expenses.
1L Diversity Scholarship
The Diversity Scholarships are open to all 1L’s of color, or others of diverse backgrounds, who have the following:
- A record of academic achievement in undergraduate school and the first year of law school that demonstrates promise for a successful career in law
- A commitment to civil involvement that promotes diversity and will continue that commitment upon entering the legal profession
- A commitment to practicing law in the Pacific Northwest after law school (For the Seattle and Portland offices only)
Although demonstrated need may be taken into account, applicants need not disclose their financial circumstances.
1L Patent Prosecution Scholarship
The 1L Patent Scholarship is open to all first-year law students who:
- Have a record of academic achievement in both undergraduate school and the first year of law school that demonstrates promise for a successful career in law
- Have a technical background and an interest in patent prosecution
- Are patent bar eligible with an electrical engineering, mathematics, or computer science background
- Are committed to practicing in the Pacific Northwest after law school; work experience in the software industry is a plus
TO APPLY FOR THE 1L DIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIP
Our online application site is open from December 1, 2017 until midnight on January 9, 2018 PST. Per NALP guidelines, we are unable to interview first-year law students prior to December 1. Application materials required:
- Current resume
- Cover letter (indicate which office you are applying for and your connection to the Pacific Northwest for Seattle and Portland applications)
- One-page personal statement indicating your eligibility for the scholarship and if you are applying to the Seattle or Portland office, then your connection to the Pacific Northwest. (If you are an out-of-area applicant and you will be in town during the application window, please indicate those dates in your statement or cover letter.)
- Copy of your complete undergraduate transcript
- Copy of your grades from the first semester of law school (if grades are not available at the time you apply, please supplement your application as soon as possible via email by attaching your first semester law grades and send to Brook Dormaier for the Seattle office or Hiroko Peraza for the Portland office)
- Legal writing sample un-edited by a third party
- List of two or three references, one of whom should be a person qualified to comment on your law school work
TO APPLY FOR THE 1L PATENT SCHOLARSHIP
Our online application site is open from December 1, 2017 until midnight on January 16, 2018 PST. Per NALP guidelines, we are unable to interview first-year law students prior to December 1.
Application materials required:
- Current resume
- Cover letter (please indicate your connection to the Pacific Northwest)
- Copy of your unofficial undergraduate transcript
- Copy of your grades from the first semester of law school (if grades are not available by the application deadline, please be sure to mention it in your cover letter and submit the transcript via email to Brook Dormaier as soon as it becomes available)
- Legal writing sample unedited by a third party
- List of two or three references, one of whom should be a person qualified to comment on your law school work or technical expertise
- DC Diversity Consortium's 2nd Annual 1L Diversity Fair 11.01.17
- Willamette University 1L Diversity Fair - 11.02.17
- University of Oregon 1L Diversity Fair - 11.02.17
- NYU Diversity Forum - 11.07.17
- Berkeley 1L Law Firm Diversity Fellowship Info Session and Fair - 11.08.17
- Lewis & Clark 1L Diversity Fair - 11.08.17
- Columbia Law Firm Diversity Expo - 11.09.17
- Seattle University 1L Diversity Fair - 11.15.17
- University of Washington 1L Diversity Fair - 11.28.17
- Seattle Legal Recruiting Administrators Diversity Reception - 01.03.18
- Meet DWT! – DWT Portland
Your personal statement should be no more than one page, single-spaced, and 12-point font. Please include your name but do not address your personal statement to anyone.
- Initial: A candidate will meet with one or two people and the meeting will take up to an hour. Unless you are local or we are meeting you on campus, these will be conducted by video.
- Callbacks: These take place in our office and usually involve meeting 6-8 people. They might include lunch or coffee and can last up to 4 hours. The lunch or coffee interviews allow the candidates an opportunity to spend quality time with DWT attorneys. You do not need to bring your resume with you when you interview with us, though some candidates do.
The highlight of the summer is the three-day Summer Associate Retreat. Each year we bring all of our summer associates from across the firm to the Seattle office for a day of training and networking with their colleagues. After that, we head to a beautiful resort to socialize and get to know more attorneys from the firm in a fun, relaxing environment.