“DWTSurge is innovative, it is progressive, it is efficient, and it attracts and fosters attorneys with non-traditional career goals to thrive professionally and personally”
Deana Ahn DWTSurge Attorney | Bellevue
“DWTSurge attorneys get to work on interesting engagements for the most dynamic companies in the world, but without the billable-hour requirements of a partnership track”
James Moon Partner | Los Angeles
“We have had great luck with smart attorneys who are willing to work hard but appreciate the flexibility that Surge provides”
Jim Howard Partner | Seattle
“Surge has enabled me to continue practicing law at a sophisticated level while still being available to meet the current needs of my family. The flexible schedule and interesting work has made it a perfect fit!”
Ramie Snodgrass DWTSurge Attorney
Discover an Alternative Path to Success at DWT
There is more than one way to build a career while balancing other priorities and pursuits.
DWTSurge is an alternative-track attorney and legal staff program built and managed by Davis Wright Tremaine LLP to offer unique, flexible opportunities with the support and resources of a large law firm.
Working with DWTSurge allows you to work flexibly, without the traditional demands that come with working at a law firm. Your work may be remote by design and your workload can be tailored to meet your needs. You will be able to collaborate with DWT attorneys and staff while supporting our clients’ needs on interesting and engaging work. You will not be diverted or assigned to unanticipated work streams, offering more predictability and control over your schedule. For legal professionals who are passionate about using their skills to provide excellent service to clients and who seek new career paths, we will work with you to find DWTSurge opportunities that work for you.Apply Now
"I tried to set down what I thought the real values were for me in practicing law: Achieve a good reputation among fellow men especially for ability and integrity, and have enough time off to enjoy living."
DWTSurge Program FAQs
What is DWTSurge?
DWTSurge is Davis Wright Tremaine LLP’s dedicated program for attorneys and legal staff seeking alternative-track careers. We recruit talented legal professionals for various arrangements, from short-term projects to continuous workstreams. We invest in DWTSurge professionals by providing onboarding and training. We embed many of our DWTSurge resources within teams where they can work closely with partners, associates, full-time staff, and clients. DWTSurge professionals are trained on each DWT client’s particular needs and preferences, and many of them collaborate directly with clients on a regular basis. DWTSurge offers the benefit of large law firm support and interesting, ongoing work, while also offering a variety of flexible options.
- Are curious about nontraditional paths within a large law firm
- Thrive as part of a close-knit team providing high levels of client service
- Value the flexibility of practicing without a billable hour requirement and without business development obligations
- Welcome the opportunity to work remotely and on a reduced schedule
- Are returning to the practice of law after taking some time off
- Wish to pursue a career in BigLaw while balancing family and other priorities
- Seek to leverage their mid- to senior-level years of experience
- Hope to utilize skills gained from prior in-house or large law firm roles
- Enjoy the challenges of solving substantive legal problems for innovative clients
- Fulfill client secondment needs
- Support ongoing or recurring transactional or litigation matters as part of dedicated client teams
- Provide practice support when there is an overflow of associate-level work
- Assist with short-term, time-sensitive projects resulting from large trials or transactions
We may also ask you to begin compiling a list of clients and matters to start a conflicts check. Offers are contingent upon satisfactorily clearing conflicts, background checks, and reference checks. Offer acceptance requires returning a signed offer letter ahead of the stated offer expiration date.
DWT Surge Staff
- Value the flexibility of working remotely and collaboratively with a distributed team
- Seek to build on their prior experience supporting legal teams in-house or in private practice
- Have experience liaising with clients and/or other high-level stakeholders
- Are interested in supporting process improvement initiatives and organizing workflows
- Possess strong organizational, administrative, and interpersonal skills
- Are eager for the challenges of a large law firm environment, working with large corporate clients
- Fulfill client secondment needs
- Support ongoing, high-volume litigation needs for clients in the technology, retail, and logistics industries
- Support fraud and enforcement litigation workstreams for technology clients
- Project-manage nationwide regulatory and licensing needs for clients expanding their operations
- Provide valued assistance to teams in different DWT practice groups, including patent, real property, food & beverage, and more
We can often accommodate staff who have limitations on their schedule due to obligations outside of their work. Our DWTSurge Recruiters will work with you to understand what your preferences are to match you with the opportunities that provide the flexibility you need.