FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Records Supervisor
Office: Washington, DC
Summary: This position’s primary tasks concern the maintenance, retention and review of files, preparation and printing of folder labels, and coordination and preparation of sending and retrieving off-site files, for the Washington DC office. Position requires certain physical capabilities to retrieve and deliver files to attorneys and staff - see details below.
This position will be responsible for handling tasks including but not limited to the following:
- Identify, locate and retrieve files and boxes from offsite storage or internal storage.
- Maintain WDC office central records including, but not limited to, misfiles, shifting and archiving.
- Manage and assist secretarial staff with file archiving and sending files to off-site storage as needed.
- Check-in and re-shelve folders being returned to Central Records in the WDC office.
- Process new folder requests in WDC office including preparing and printing labels for new folder requests; affixing labels to folders (or providing appropriate folders to secretary) with regard to the folder type requested; and circulating and routing new folders and/or labels to the requestor.
- Perform periodic electronic scan for the WDC office to update the circulation history in the records database.
- Coordinate with off-site storage facility to order and review physical files and materials, and prepare for destruction (if appropriate).
- Track and maintain records of all destroyed files and materials, and provide proper documentation when requested.
- Validate inventory of inbound and outbound client/matter folder transfers.
- Ensure the folder status for all shelved and archived folders for the WDC office are accurately recorded in the records database.
- Assist with other administrative tasks; perform other records job responsibilities as assigned and needed.
- 2+ years experience office experience required.
- Basic knowledge of legal records retention policies and practices required.
- Demonstrated ability to use Records Management software or ability to learn quickly.
- High School graduate or GED equivalent required; college degree preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software and experience working with various records preferred.
- Ability to handle moderately stressful situations in a calm, composed manner required.
- Attention to detail and quality control required.
- Customer service, analysis, troubleshooting, problem solving and follow up skills required.
- Time management skills required.
- Communication skills, both verbal and written, with all levels of a professional services organization, including interpersonal skills required.
- Management software applications preferred.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is required to climb or balance. File room contains large moving file cabinets which will require employee to have the ability to regularly climb a ladder to retrieve or re-shelve files on the top shelves.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 15 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.