Patent Specialist (Entry-Level Legal Assistant)
Patent Specialists provide assistance with patent related work on a task basis, and is part of a team that provides administrative support to the patent group.
We value entrepreneurial self-starters who bring innovative solutions to the table. If you are looking to join a busy patent practice and want to grow your career as we grow, we want to talk to you.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion. DWT fosters inclusiveness and authenticity. Regardless of position, everyone here has a voice and the support is unparalleled.
On a typical day you will:
- Prepare legal documents for filing with the USPTO, including: Declarations, Assignments, Powers of Attorney, Responses to Missing Parts, Amendments, ADSs, Requests for Correction of Filing Receipt, and Certificates of Correction
- Proofread Official Filing Receipts, Notices of Publication, Issue Notifications, and Letters Patent to verify accuracy of information
- Assist with file intakes and other projects as needed
- Manage reporting emails to send to the client
- Accurately and completely record billable time spent and tasks performed in accordance with firm policy and client-imposed billing protocol, enter and release time promptly in compliance with firm's announced deadlines
- Assist with routine correspondence and client reporting letters
- Assist with correspondence, billing, and other administrative activities related to Annuity program
- Assist attorneys, paralegals, and other administrative staff with assigned tasks, which may include: processing invoices and expenses, opening matters, scheduling meetings, mailing letters and packages, mailing client invoices, organizing files, time entry, and other projects as assigned
Join us if you have:
- At least one year experience in a professional office, preferably with prior USPTO eFiling experience
- A self-starter mindset with a high degree of attention to detail
- The ability and willingness to learn new programs and program updates
- High-level communication skills to express self effectively, both orally and in writing, and excellent grammar and proofreading skills
- The ability to work in a team-oriented, service focused environment and to handle stressful situations in a calm, composed manner
- An agility to prioritize tasks and to complete projects with minimal supervision
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- The ability to follow client confidentiality guidelines
A bachelor’s degree or combination of work experience and education equivalent is helpful, but we are open to candidates from non-traditional backgrounds who have transferrable skills to succeed.
Who We Are
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm with eight offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
What’s in it For You?
DWT offers competitive compensation in addition to ample benefits including but not limited to:
- Choice of health and vision insurance plans
- 2 paid volunteer days for qualifying community service work
- Dental plan
- Fertility and adoption benefit
- Paid sabbatical after 13 years of service
- Tuition reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Retirement contribution
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.