Paralegal - Privacy & Security
This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S.! Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is looking for a Paralegal to join our Privacy & Security group in our Washington D.C. office.
This position will assist the Privacy & Security Group by supporting lawyers who develop and deliver compliance work product, monitoring legal and industry developments, gathering and analyzing data, and coordinating time-sensitive projects such as incident responses. This is a great opportunity for someone interested in privacy and data security issues.
In this role, you will:
- Assist with monitoring developments across statutory regimes at the international, federal, state, and local level, across industries and technical disciplines
- Manage time sensitive projects, such as data breaches and other incident responses
- Perform legal project management duties, including defining project deliverables and milestones, and coordination with client and DWT team to make sure timelines and budgets are met
- Accurately and completely record billable time spent and tasks performed in accordance with firm policy and client-imposed billing protocols; enter and release time promptly in compliance with the firm’s announced deadlines
- Other duties as assigned
Join us if you have:
- BA/BS degree; paralegal certificate is preferred
- CIPP or IAPP certification is preferred but not required
- 3+ years law firm or industry experience in any of the following areas is required: privacy, security, or information governance
- Experience with knowledge management practices is preferred
- Experience with legal research tools such as WestLaw and LexisNexis is preferred
- Experience with project management such as creating project plans, status reports, and managing complex tasks to meet deadlines
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook), as well as legal research and document retention databases required; advanced proficiency in Excel, including the ability to work with complex Excel formulas is preferred
- Must be highly organized and proactive, with the ability to work independently and with teams
- Willingness to adapt to and learn new technology, software programs, and upgrades
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with clients, attorneys, staff members, and other business contacts, are required
- Ability to communicate and handle stressful situations in a professional, calm, courteous manner
- Ability to work effectively in a team-oriented, service environment
- Must be detail oriented, able to prioritize multiple tasks under tight deadlines, and able to work in an efficient and organized manner
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.