Paralegal - Energy, Natural Resources, and Environmental Group
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is looking for a Paralegal to support our Energy, Natural Resources, and Environmental Group in our Washington D.C. office. We offer a hybrid work engagement with two days of remote work, and three days in-office.
We’re looking for an experienced paralegal who is highly detail-orientated, and be able to prioritize and multitask. If you exercise sound judgment, and possess strong administrative, organizational and interpersonal skills while managing a heavy workload, we want to talk to you.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion. DWT fosters inclusiveness and authenticity. Regardless of position, everyone here has a voice and the support is unparalleled.
On a typical day you will:
- Manage case file databases, assist with online discovery, and conduct legal and factual research for cases, mediations, and arbitrations before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), state utility regulatory commissions, and Federal and state courts.
- Prepare and file complaints, pleadings, tariff sheets, and regulatory forms and reports, including cite checking and proofreading filings for cases before the FERC, state utility regulatory commissions, and Federal and state courts.
- Monitor client energy issues, including major rulemaking dockets, independent system operator/regional transmission operator (ISO/RTO) websites, and various state activities.
- Monitor industry publications and information resources, including the FERC Daily Filings Report.
- Provide assistance with all phases of proceedings, including preparing motion and pleading templates, filing briefs with various courts with strict adherence to court rules, preparing exhibits, marshalling facts and documents, monitoring dockets, creating presentations, managing calendars, and communicating with vendors.
- Provide assistance with all phases of discovery, including privilege reviews and privilege logs, preparation of discovery templates, document production, preparation of subpoenas and oversight of service, deposition preparation and summaries.
- Order certified corporation documents and good standing certificates.
- Perform and assist with legal and factual research projects, including performance of complex factual research and analysis.
- Obtain relevant materials and citations from outside sources such as the Internet, public agencies, courts, and/or libraries, as well as case, statutory and/or regulatory law.
- Retrieve and review documents from clients and other parties.
- Prepare memoranda and summaries reflecting assigned work product.
- Manage and organize medium and large case document collections and productions, including electronically stored information.
- Accurately and completely record billable time spent and tasks performed in accordance with firm policy and client-imposed billing protocols; enter and release time promptly in compliance with the firm’s announced deadlines.
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance and punctuality.
Join us if you have:
- 5 or more years’ experience as a civil litigation, energy or environmental paralegal.
- Knowledge of court and agency procedures and rules.
- Knowledge of: Relativity and other document review/hosting databases; PACER; Lexis/Nexis; Westlaw; Microsoft Word; Compulaw; Excel; and PowerPoint.
- Experience with complex commercial litigation.
- Ability to organize assignments, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with lawyers, clients and staff.
- A high degree of attention to detail.
- Flexibility for overtime.
- Bachelor’s Degree and a Paralegal Certificate is preferred, but we are open to non-traditional candidates with the skills, knowledge, and experience to succeed.
Who We Are
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm with 11 offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
What’s in it For You?
DWT offers competitive compensation in addition to ample benefits including but not limited to:
- Choice of health and vision insurance plans
- 2 paid volunteer days for qualifying community service work
- Dental plan
- Fertility and adoption benefit
- Paid sabbatical after 13 years of service
- Tuition reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Retirement contribution
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP embraces diversity, equity and inclusion. It brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are part of the fabric of Davis Wright Tremaine-central to who we are and what we do. Our vision is to foster a culture where all talented individuals-including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the legal profession-can have, and can see, a path to success. In order to support this vision, we request that you voluntarily provide the following demographic data. All self-reported demographic information is stored securely in a manner that is compliant with DWT’s privacy and security policies and is only accessible by authorized members of the Talent Acquisition and HR Departments; it is not shared with any of the hiring decision-makers.
Davis Wright Tremaine provides reasonable accommodations for those who need them to complete the application or recruiting process and for employees who need reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their positions due to a disability or for religious reasons. If you need to request accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please email email@example.com.