This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S.! Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is looking for a Paralegal - Litigation to join our team in our Anchorage office.
This position is responsible for providing a comprehensive range of support to attorneys on medium-to-large litigation matters. We value entrepreneurial self-starters who bring innovative solutions to the table. If you are detail-oriented and possess strong administrative, organizational, and interpersonal skills, we want to talk to you.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion. DWT fosters inclusiveness and authenticity. Regardless of position, everyone here has a voice and the support is unparalleled.
On a typical day you will:
Case Management Activity
- Proactively serve as the focal point for litigation team communications and centralized repository for information on project assignments and status
- Maintain or oversee maintenance of a comprehensive case calendar, using information provided by attorneys and consulting applicable court rules to calculate deadlines for filing and service; work with docketing personnel to ensure that both calendar systems contain accurate and current information
- Maintain or oversee creation, indexing, and continued maintenance of complex case files and document collections
- Proofread legal memoranda to identify and correct typographical and/or grammatical errors; check all citations to legal authorities and to the evidence for accuracy of citations and forms of citation consistent with The Bluebook and/or specific court requirements
- Coordinate and manage court filings, either in paper or electronic form as determined by court requirements
- Perform complex fact research and analysis; retrieve and review documents from clients and other parties, and outside sources such as the Internet, public agencies, courts or libraries, as well as case, statutory and/or regulatory law; prepare memoranda or summary sheets reflecting assigned work product
- Manage the creation and maintenance of special collections of documents (including witness files, subject and issue files, experts’ reliance documents, etc.)
- Assist with and participate in collection of client documents; manage detailed tracking of document collection; work with litigation support to ensure proper collection of electronic documents and files
- Conduct interviews of witnesses and file custodians when necessary
- Work with internal litigation support group in retaining vendors, as needed, for all aspects of document production and review; conduct quality control assessment of work performed by vendors
- Draft memoranda or other documents memorializing in detail the processes used in collecting and producing client documents
- Assist with review of documents for responsiveness and privilege; draft privilege logs
- Perform complex database searches to locate and retrieve selected documents
- Prepare exhibits for use at depositions and maintain a system to track marked exhibits
- Manage in detail the collection and status of deposition transcripts; perform searches in the deposition full-text retrieval system; summarize deposition transcripts
Preparation for and Assistance at Trial or Other Proceedings
- Assist with trial or arbitration proceedings (tasks include but are not limited to: preparation of exhibit and witness lists, designations of deposition testimony, preparation of trial briefs)
- Coordinate logistics with court personnel and other counsel
- Work with trial support vendor and/or internal litigation support staff to prepare and operate courtroom technology; coordinate use of technology with courtroom personnel and other counsel
- Assist attorneys at trial (e.g., track and manage trial exhibits, coordinate with witnesses, operate courtroom presentation tools, act as liaison with court personnel, and summarize trial testimony)
- Accurately and completely record billable time spent and tasks performed in accordance with firm policy and client-imposed billing protocols; enter and release time promptly in compliance with the firm’s announced deadlines
- Accurately and promptly submit records of hours worked in compliance with the firm’s established deadlines
- Accepts and performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Join us if you have:
- 7+ years of paralegal experience
- Bachelor’s degree and completion of paralegal program of study required
- Highly developed skills in time and task management
- Highly developed attention to detail in striving for perfection in the firm’s work product and client service
- Post-college level writing and oral communication skills
- Advanced proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office computerized business applications (Word, Excel, and Outlook) for the creation and editing of complex documents, spreadsheets, and electronic mail)
- Proficiency in the use of computerized legal research and document retention databases for performance of fact and legal research and effective management of complex evidence and case files
Who We Are
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm with 11 offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
What’s in it For You?
DWT offers competitive compensation in addition to ample benefits including but not limited to:
- Choice of health and vision insurance plans
- 2 paid volunteer days for qualifying community service work
- Dental plan
- Fertility and adoption benefit
- Paid sabbatical after 13 years of service
- Tuition reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Retirement contribution
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP embraces diversity, equity and inclusion. It brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are part of the fabric of Davis Wright Tremaine-central to who we are and what we do. Our vision is to foster a culture where all talented individuals-including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the legal profession-can have, and can see, a path to success. In order to support this vision, we request that you voluntarily provide the following demographic data. All self-reported demographic information is stored securely in a manner that is compliant with DWT’s privacy and security policies and is only accessible by authorized members of the Talent Acquisition and HR Departments; it is not shared with any of the hiring decision-makers.
Davis Wright Tremaine provides reasonable accommodations for those who need them to complete the application or recruiting process and for employees who need reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their positions due to a disability or for religious reasons. If you need to request accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please email email@example.com.