Litigation Legal Assistant
This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S.! Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is looking for a proactive Litigation Legal Assistant to join our team in Seattle. This role offers flexibility - three days a week in the office, two days remote (subject to client and practice need).
In this role, you will provide critical support for three to four attorneys in the litigation practice group. It requires typing; editing and formatting legal documents and correspondence; filing documents with federal and state courts throughout the United States, both electronically and by messenger; arranging for service of documents on opposing counsel; telephone communications with clients and business contacts; file maintenance; substantial data entry;
We value entrepreneurial self-starters who bring innovative solutions to the table. If you have the vision to see beyond a "to do" list and anticipate needs, we want to talk to you.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion. DWT fosters inclusiveness and authenticity. Regardless of position, everyone here has a voice and the support is unparalleled.
On a typical day you will:
- Type, proofread, format and edit correspondence, pleadings, discovery responses, and other legal documents, often with short deadlines
- Daily entry of information and documents into electronic client-focused databases
- Prepare spreadsheets analyzing client billing data
- Open new client matters and initiate conflict checks
- Maintain paper and electronic files
- Draft correspondence and communicate with project team and client contacts
- Schedule appointments, depositions, meetings; maintain calendars; set up conference calls
- File pleadings in state and federal courts in many different venues, as well as in agency proceedings
- Track and calendar internal and litigation deadlines
- Answer, screen, and respond to phone calls
- Open and route mail and email; attach files and documents
- Enter billable time into time-keeping system
Join us if you have:
- 5+ years’ experience as a litigation assistant, or similar experience
- Strong skills in word processing and computer use: ability to type 65 wpm with high accuracy; proficiency in MS Office Products (Word, Outlook, Excel) and Adobe Acrobat or Nuance required; some knowledge of PowerPoint, time keeping programs, NetDocs, and SharePoint sites preferred; ability to perform internet research
- Experience filing documents with state and federal courts. Ability to read and understand court rules, ensure compliance with assigned judge’s individual rules and practices
- High attention to detail and sensitivity to confidential materials
- Ability to work independently and anticipate needed tasks to complete projects
- Able and willing to learn new electronic programs
- Excellent grammar, proofreading and organizational skills
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- High level of energy; able to work at a fast pace and to prioritize tasks
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, service focused environment and to handle stressful situations in calm, composed manner
- Ability to understand and follow work instructions with minimal supervision
- Availability and willingness to work overtime as needed or requested
- A high school diploma or GED certification, required
Who We Are
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm with eight offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
What’s in it For You?
DWT offers competitive compensation in addition to ample benefits including but not limited to:
- Choice of health and vision insurance plans
- 2 paid volunteer days for qualifying community service work
- Dental plan
- Fertility and adoption benefit
- Paid sabbatical after 13 years of service
- Tuition reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Retirement contribution
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are part of the fabric of Davis Wright Tremaine-central to who we are and what we do. Our vision is to foster a culture where all talented individuals-including those from traditionally underrepresented populations-can have, and can see, a path to success. We are committed to fostering DEI because it makes our firm better, in every way. At DWT, every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.
Davis Wright Tremaine provides reasonable accommodations for those who need them to complete the application or recruiting process and for employees who need reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their positions due to a disability or for religious reasons. If you need to request accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please contact email@example.com.