Legal Secretary - Litigation
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, an AmLaw 100 firm, is seeking a proactive Legal Secretary to join our team in San Francisco
Litigation Legal Secretaries are business partners to our attorneys and streamline administrative processes to support the practice.
In this role, you’ll own non-billable work. This includes typing, editing and/or formatting legal documents and correspondence, filing documents with various courts, both electronically and via messenger, arranging for service of documents on opposing counsel, telephone communications with clients and business contacts, inputting attorney time, paper and electronic file maintenance, calendar and contacts maintenance, coordinating travel arrangements, preparing reimbursement forms and other tasks as assigned.
This role offers flexibility - three days a week in the office, two days remote (subject to client and practice need).
On a typical day, you will:
- Type, proofread, format and edit correspondence, pleadings, memoranda, agreements and other legal documents under time-sensitive deadlines. Some pleading drafting. Conversion of both paper and electronic files to pdf format
- Heavy court filings including serving pleadings with the court and on opposing and associated counsel, at state, federal, and appellate level and in many different venues
- Open new client and new matter files
- Maintain attorney and client files, both paper and electronic formats. Maintain email and electronic files
- Organize and maintain binders for trial, working papers, and business development purposes
- Schedule remote hearing appearances, appointments, depositions, meetings; maintain calendars; make travel arrangements; set up conference calls
- Track litigation deadlines, provide deadlines to docketing and confirm deadlines are docketed correctly
- Answer, screen and respond to phone calls
- Open and route mail and email, attaching files and documents
- Enter attorney time into time-keeping program
- Maintain and track CLE records for attorneys
- Prepare and submit expense/reimbursement reports and vendor invoices
- Process and edit prebills
- Assist fellow secretaries and additional attorneys as needed
Join us if you can:
- Expertly work with busy attorneys and handle a fast-pace desk with minimal supervision
- Become a trusted collaborator with our attorneys to understand their practice and leverage resources to make administrative processes more efficient
- See connections, anticipate needs beyond a "to do" list
- Demonstrate intellectual curiosity; Have the ability and willingness to learn new programs and program updates
- Be agile when faced with frequently changing needs, which will require prioritizing tasks, tracking competing deadlines, and communicating at a high-level with an exceptional focus on client service
- Work efficiently and take initiative, but also exercise a high degree of attention to detail
- Communicate at a consistently high-level, both written and verbal, with an ability to work in a team-oriented, service focused environment and to handle stressful situations in a calm, composed manner
- 5+ years’ experience as a litigation secretary
- Strong skills in word processing and computer use: ability to type 85 wpm with high accuracy; proficiency in MS Office Products (Word, Outlook, Excel) and Power PDF/Adobe Acrobat required; some knowledge of PowerPoint, time keeping programs, NetDocs preferred; ability to perform internet research
- Demonstrated experience filing documents with State and Federal Courts, including electronic filing. Ability to read and understand court rules, including rules for courts you have not worked with before, and to ensure compliance with assigned judge’s Individual Rules and Practices
- Demonstrated experience with 9th Circuit and California Appellate Courts, preferred
- High attention to detail and sensitivity to confidential and sensitive materials
- Excellent transcription, grammar, proofreading and organizational skills
- Ability to follow client confidentiality guidelines
Who We Are
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm with eight offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion. DWT fosters inclusiveness and authenticity. Regardless of position, everyone here has a voice and the support is unparalleled.
What’s in it For You?
DWT offers competitive compensation in addition to ample benefits including but not limited to:
- Choice of health and vision insurance plans
- 2 paid volunteer days for qualifying community service work
- Dental plan
- Fertility and adoption benefit
- Paid sabbatical after 13 years of service
- Tuition reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Retirement contribution
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.