Legal Secretary - Corporate and Business Transactions
LEGAL SECRETARY - CORPORATE AND BUSINESS TRANSACTIONS
This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S. Davis Wright Tremaine LLP has once again been named one of Oregon’s "100 Best Companies to Work For" by Oregon Business magazine for the tenth consecutive year. We are looking for an enthusiastic administrative professional to join our team in Portland. This position will provide and coordinate administrative and clerical support to attorneys and paralegals in the securities and business transaction practices, supporting effective use of their time. This position requires an ability to work independently as well as in a team environment with timekeepers and staff members. Expertise supporting business transactions required. Additional experience with corporate and securities, and mergers and acquisitions practices is a plus.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Understand assigned timekeepers’ practice and clients.
- Extensive interaction with clients; acts as intermediary with clients and responds to client requests.
- Manage client billing process, including review and editing of pre-bills.
- Maintain up-to-date forms, including collaboration with word processing on templates.
- Check in regularly with attorney to ensure all aspects of any project are under control. Prompt as needed. Exercise careful judgment about when to ask for guidance.
- Assign appropriate tasks to word processing, file room and other support staff. Follow up on status of all projects to ensure timely completion.
- Communicate clearly with all appropriate team members on project status.
- Set up data rooms for transactions; provide required information to IT for initial set up, organize data room structure, populate data room with required documents, communicate access information to data room participants, update and maintain data room, maintain due diligence/document production checklist in connection with data room documents.
- Identify and organize documents for closings of complex financing or acquisition transactions, prepare initial checklists, research possible forms of documents, manage formatting for uniformity across all documents.
- Assist with transaction closings; monitor and update checklists, organize documents and signature packets for execution, monitor status of documentation and organize final executed documents as received, review documents for completeness, maintain electronic record of final executed documents, organize documents for closing transcripts, produce and transmit closing transcripts, distribute stock certificates.
- Ensure that relevant documents are filed in the client’s minute book records and that equity ownership information is properly maintained.
- Docket reminders for annual corporate filings (e.g., stock plan registration).
- Type, proofread, run comparisons, and edit correspondence, memoranda, agreements and other legal and business documents from notes, templates, drafts, or dictated text under time sensitive deadlines.
- Maintain attorney and client records. Maintain email and electronic records.
- Open new client and new matter files.
- Schedule and coordinate appointments, meetings and conference calls and maintain calendars.
- Answer, screen, and respond to phone calls.
- Open and route mail, attaching appropriate files and documents.
- Prepare and submit expense reimbursement reports and check requests.
- Make travel arrangements.
- Schedule conference rooms using Resource Scheduler and arrange for food service and audio-visual equipment as needed.
- Assist fellow secretaries and additional attorneys as needed.
- Notarize documents. Position may require secretary to become and maintain Oregon Notary.
- 3+ years’ experience as a legal secretary in a law firm environment is required. Expertise supporting business transactions, corporate and securities, and mergers and acquisitions practices is required.
- Expertise in Microsoft Word and Outlook is essential. Must also be proficient in Adobe, DocuSign, Excel and PowerPoint. Experience with Office 2010 and Windows 7 is preferred.
- Ability to understand and follow work directions, manage multiple priorities and respond to urgent requests with minimal supervision.
- Ability to take initiative and ownership of projects and follow them through to completion, regardless of who is doing the work.
- Excellent keyboarding, grammar, spelling and proofreading skills. Transcription skills required.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with clients, firm members, and other business contacts.
- Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills, as well as the ability to handle stressful situations in a calm, composed manner.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and be highly organized and accurate.
- Strong time management skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team-oriented, service environment.
- Availability and willingness to work overtime as needed or requested.
- A high school diploma or GED certification is required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.