Legal Assistant - Litigation Project Management
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, an AmLaw 100 firm, is seeking a proactive Legal Assistant to join our team in New York.
In this role, you will collaborate with our forward-thinking attorneys, understand their fast-paced litigation practice, and own non-billable administrative tasks. This includes, but not limited to: tracking high-volume litigation matters, drafting engagement letters, running conflicts, and staying on top of timekeeping.
We value entrepreneurial self-starters who bring innovative solutions to the table. If you have the vision to see beyond a "to do" list and anticipate needs, we want to talk to you.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion. DWT fosters inclusiveness and authenticity. Regardless of position, everyone here has a voice and the support is unparalleled.
On a typical day, you will:
- Draft, type, proofread and edit correspondence and documents (e.g., court forms, pleadings, memoranda, agreements and other legal documents) under time sensitive deadlines
- Assist with high-volume litigation matters by researching, tracking, and organizing data to enhance efficiency for the practice
- Enter attorney time, process and review monthly bills. High focus on client billing including primary liaison for attorney with the Accounting Department as it relates to client bills
- Maintain correspondence and other legal documents, both paper form and in electronic format (through NetDocs document management system)
- Take initiative, with attorneys’ permission, to review and save e-mail, delegate to other parties or escalate to attorney for action as appropriate
- Respond to attorney/clients needs with a sense of urgency, ensuring resolution with appropriate follow-up, (e.g., via telephone, e-mail and in person)
- Work with attorneys to prioritize, organize and relieve them of administrative task
Join us if you can:
- Become a trusted collaborator with our attorneys to understand their practice and leverage resources to remove administrative tasks off their plates
- Learn to see connections and anticipate needs beyond a "to do" list
- Be agile when faced with frequently changing needs, which will require proficiency in time management, project management and organization skills
- Take ownership of multiple projects with shrewd attention to detail; have the accountability to follow through, be highly organized and work under pressure with a sense of urgency
- Be a self-starter and not afraid to learn and tackle new tasks
- Communicate effectively and professionally with all levels of a professional services organization with exceptional focus on client service conveyed in both verbal and written form is a must
- Demonstrate proficiency with MS Office Products, i.e. Microsoft Word XP, Microsoft Excel and Outlook; social media, and CRM technology a plus
- Ability to work independently while also working as a strong team player
At least a few years of supporting litigation attorneys is helpful, but we are open to candidates from non-traditional backgrounds who have transferrable skills to succeed.
Who We Are
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm with eight offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
What’s in it For You?
DWT offers competitive compensation in addition to ample benefits including but not limited to:
- Choice of health and vision insurance plans
- 2 paid volunteer days for qualifying community service work
- Dental plan
- Fertility and adoption benefit
- Paid sabbatical after 13 years of service
- Tuition reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Retirement contribution
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.