Legal Assistant - IP/Patent
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, an AmLaw 100 firm, is seeking a proactive IP/Patent Legal Assistant to join our team in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, or Los Angeles.
Our IP/Patent Legal Assistants are responsible for supporting a variety of high-level administrative tasks in a busy IP/Patent practice. This includes preparing Patent Filings with the USPTO, docket and file maintenance, high volume typing, maintaining calendars, and otherwise providing high-level support as needed.
We value entrepreneurial self-starters who bring innovative solutions to the table. If you have the vision to see beyond a “to do” list and anticipate needs, we want to talk to you.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion. DWT fosters inclusiveness and authenticity. Regardless of position, everyone here has a voice and the support is unparalleled.
On a typical day, you will:
- Own the preparation of Patent Filings with the USPTO
- Demonstrate knowledge of AIA procedures with the USPTO
- Manage electronic trademark correspondence and documents
- Handle client special requests and client communication
- Maintain and keep attorney advised of docket and upcoming due dates
- Type high volume of correspondence, memoranda, agreements, and other legal documents under time sensitive deadlines
- Maintain correspondence and other legal document files electronically
- Make arrangements for messenger, postal, fax, or courier service
- Schedule appointments and maintain calendars
- Review and finalize monthly billings
- Proofread and edit documents
- Provide assistance to other attorneys and staff on other projects as needed
Join us if you have:
- 5+ years’ experience in patent prosecution
- Strong word processing and computer skills; solid working knowledge of MS Word and MS Outlook required, experience with all MS Office products preferred
- Ability to type 75 wpm on word processing equipment with a high degree of accuracy
- Excellent transcription, grammar, and proofreading skills
- Ability to work independently without regular supervision
- Ability to communicate orally in a professional, courteous manner with clients, firm members, and other business contacts
- Willingness to work in a team-oriented, service environment
- Ability to organize assignments, work under pressure and meet deadlines
- High degree of attention to detail
- Willingness to work extended or flexible hours in urgencies preferred
Who We Are
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm with eight offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
What’s in it For You?
DWT offers competitive compensation in addition to ample benefits including but not limited to:
- Choice of health and vision insurance plans
- 2 paid volunteer days for qualifying community service work
- Dental plan
- Fertility and adoption benefit
- Paid sabbatical after 13 years of service
- Tuition reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Retirement contribution
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.