Contract Paralegal Clerk, Litigation
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP has an immediate need to engage a remote contract paralegal clerk through DWTSurge, the firm’s alternative staffing program. This position is ideally suited for an ambitious college graduate with one or more years of law firm or litigation experience who is interested in furthering their legal industry experience in a large law firm setting and supporting global clients.
This position supports an innovative client project team that handles a high-volume of third-party subpoena responses and other litigation matters for key firm clients. Primary responsibilities include tracking, assigning, and assisting in drafting responses to subpoenas, managing high-volume litigation databases, escalating legal questions, and other tasks as needed in support of litigation matters. Close attention to detail, sound judgment, excellent writing skills, and careful organization are needed. The position also requires multi-tasking and strong interpersonal skills in a fast-paced environment. The candidate will be supervised by and will report to the firm’s non-attorney staff. Because this role may have significant interaction opportunities and relationship-building potential within the firm, we are placing a greater emphasis on time management and communication skills than on substantive years in litigation support.
Candidates must be willing to accommodate a west coast business schedule. Compensation is on an hourly basis. We anticipate that the role will require full-time hours, 37.5 hours per week, and we are interested in candidates who can be flexible about their hours of work. The amount of work may vary week to week and a minimum number of hours of work per week is not guaranteed. Upon the completion of the initial six-month contract, successful candidates will be considered for a possibility of extension.
- Monitor, review, and sort incoming legal requests, including subpoenas, for a high-volume litigation practice
- Work with litigation databases and trackers to ensure all new matters are included
- Assist in drafting responses to subpoenas and tracking status of responses
- Communicate by telephone, email, and mail with project team members
- Type, format, proofread, and edit correspondence
- Assist with the production of documents for discovery
- Accurately and completely record billable time spent and tasks performed in accordance with firm policy and client-imposed billing protocols; enter and release time promptly in compliance with the firm’s announced deadlines
- Administrative support as needed
- Ability to work overtime as needed
- One or more years of legal experience, preferably in a law firm environment &/or supporting commercial litigation
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Seattle Area candidates and west coast candidates preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Experience with Relativity &/or other document review databases is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies quickly and independently
- High attention to detail and sensitivity to confidential materials
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team-oriented, service focused environment and to handle stressful situations in a calm, composed manner
- Proficiency in MS Office Products (Word, Outlook, Excel) and Adobe Acrobat or Nuance
- Excellent grammar, proofreading, and organizational skills
- Availability and willingness to work overtime as needed
- Must be a team player and have the ability to work independently, with minimal supervision
Please note that this is an alternative track, contract-based position managed by DWT’s flexible contract staffing program, DWTSurge. We are interested in candidates who are seeking growth opportunities in the legal industry and are interested in providing continuous, high-value client service to the Firm’s attorneys and to our clients. Compensation will be paid on an hourly basis, commensurate with experience and skill level (see below). If you are interested in a more traditional legal staff position, please check the DWT careers page for staff opportunities.
The hourly range for this position in CA, WA, and NY is $25 to $33/hour. Actual pay will be adjusted based on experience and other job-related factors permitted by law. Medical benefits will be provided.
Additional benefits may include:
- First Stop Health Telemedicine: Speak with a licensed physician or mental health counselor 24/7, covered by the firm
- TELUS Health Employee Assistance Program: Receive support with mental, financial, physical, and emotional wellbeing
- Voluntary Pet Insurance:
- Milk Stork: Virtual lactation consulting, breast milk shipping and nutritional testing covered by the firm
- Wellness Benefits: Peloton and Headspace
Sick leave is accrued on a biweekly basis at a rate of 1 hour per 30 hours worked.
All applications should be submitted by sending a resume and cover letter directly to DWTSurge Recruiter, Nika Bennett, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The DWTSurge Recruiting team will be in touch as we review your application materials.
For this opportunity, we are not accepting third party submissions.
We are an AmLaw 100 law firm with eleven offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP embraces diversity, equity and inclusion. It brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are part of the fabric of Davis Wright Tremaine - central to who we are and what we do. Our vision is to foster a culture where all talented individuals - including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the legal profession - can have, and can see, a path to success. In order to support this vision, we request that you voluntarily provide demographic data. All self-reported demographic information is stored securely in a manner that is compliant with DWT’s privacy and security policies and is only accessible by authorized members of the Talent Acquisition and HR Departments; it is not shared with any of the hiring decision-makers.
Davis Wright Tremaine provides reasonable accommodations for those who need them to complete the application or recruiting process and for employees who need reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their positions due to a disability or for religious reasons. If you need to request accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please email email@example.com