Broadcast Television and Radio Attorney - Senior Associate, Counsel, or Staff Attorney - D.C.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP’s Technology, Communications, Privacy & Security Practice Group is looking for a senior-level communications attorney to provide regulatory and commercial advice and services to the Firm’s broadcast television and radio clients.
Attorneys with experience handling regulatory and commercial matters for broadcast television and radio station licensees are encouraged to apply. Candidates can expect to work closely with DWT lawyers and clients as part of the Communications team, providing high-value legal services to preeminent clients.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 7+ years of experience practicing in-house at a media broadcasting company or at a law firm providing legal counsel to television, radio and digital broadcasting businesses.
- Admission to practice in any of the following states: AK, AZ, CA, CO, CT, D.C., FL, GA, IL, KS, MD, MN, MT, NJ, NY, OK, OR, PA, TN, TX, VA, WA, or WV. Candidates near or able to commute to the D.C. Metro area are preferred.
- Significant experience handling broadcasting legal issues with a focus on regulatory matters (e.g., licensing and compliance) and commercial work (e.g., content licensing and distribution contracts involving TV/digital media networks and studios.
- Familiarity representing broadcasters before the FCC and advising on complex policy matters and government requirements.
- Ability to interpret and advise on FCC regulatory issues in emerging areas of technology distribution platforms and business models, including, e.g., ATSC 3.0.
- Commercial contracts experience, with the ability to counsel clients on legal issues related to content licensing and distribution relationships, including broadcast network affiliation agreements, retransmission consent agreements, syndicated programming agreements, and similar relationships.
- The ability to answer novel legal questions arising from technological and marketplace developments and analyze complex commercial contractual provisions.
- Willingness and ability to attend in-person meetings in the D.C. Metro area. Employees will be required to adhere to the vaccination policy and safety protocol of the Firm’s D.C. office and client/government agency facilities, as needed.
- High levels of productivity and efficiency when delivering work product and managing deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and experience collaborating effectively with multiple stakeholders.
- The ability to multi-task and work both independently and collaboratively under tight deadlines.
- Strong ability and drive to deepen and develop client business relationships, and shepherd clients through complex, highly regulated processes as new business lines are developed.
To apply, upload a cover letter addressed to Michael Nguyen, Director, Talent Acquisition, resume; law school transcript and a writing sample or deal sheet.
We are accepting submissions from third-party recruiters.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities.
We are committed to creating and cultivating a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.
Davis Wright Tremaine provides reasonable accommodations for those who need them to complete the application or recruiting process and for employees who need reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their positions due to a disability or for religious reasons. If you need to request accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please email email@example.com.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Reference #: 511456