Trust and Estates Legal Assistant
This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S.! Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is looking for a Legal Assistant to join our Trust & Estates team in Portland.
This position is responsible for providing a comprehensive range of legal support tasks to the Trust & Estates Practice Group including typing, editing and/or formatting legal documents and correspondence, communications with clients and business contacts, inputting attorney time, paper and electronic file maintenance, calendar and contacts maintenance, coordinating schedules, travel arrangements, preparing reimbursement forms and other tasks as assigned. This is an opportunity to support a high energy practice group, and the ideal candidate is a strong organizer and communicator, while remaining professional, efficient, and courteous with clients, firm members, and other business contacts.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion and innovation.
In this role, you will:
- Type, proofread, format and edit correspondence, pleadings, memoranda, agreements and other legal documents under time-sensitive deadlines.
- Conversion of both paper and electronic files to pdf format
- Maintain attorney and client files, both paper and electronic formats. Maintain email and electronic files using NetDocs
- Schedule appointments, meetings; maintain calendars; make travel arrangements; set up conference calls; arrange food service
- Answer, screen and respond to phone calls
- Open and route mail and email, attaching appropriate files and documents
- Open new client and new matter files
- Enter attorney time into time-keeping program
- Effectively prioritize, manage and complete multiple tasks; complete work assignments on time and at or above expected standards
- Notarize documents; position requires assistant to become and maintain Oregon Notary
- Maintain and track CLE records for attorneys
- Prepare and submit expense/reimbursement reports
- Assist fellow legal assistants and additional attorneys as needed
- 2+ years’ experience as a legal assistant
- Strong skills in word processing and computer use: ability to type 50+ wpm with high accuracy; proficiency in MS Office Products (Word, Outlook, Excel) required; familiarity with Nuance NetDocs preferred
- High degree of attention to detail
- Ability and willingness to learn new programs and program updates
- Excellent grammar, proofreading and organizational skills
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with all levels of a professional services organization, including interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, service focused environment and to handle stressful situations in a calm, composed manner
- Ability to communicate by telephone in a professional, courteous manner with clients, firm members, and other business contacts
- Ability to view job through the eyes of the client and anticipate and meet clients’ needs
- Ability to prioritize tasks on a desk and to handle multiple demands from multiple people
- Ability to understand and follow work instructions with minimal supervision
- Ability to follow client confidentiality guidelines
- Ability to read and write in English
- Oregon Notary Public
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.