Practice Manager - MEPTA
Opportunity to drive business for premier law firm focused on our Media, Entertainment, Patent, Trademark, and Advertising practice. We will need this person to sit in our LA office.
Our national, best-in-class Media, Entertainment, Patent, Trademark, and Advertising (MEPTA) practice is looking or an agile Practice Manager to support the profitable, effective operation of the practice group. In this role, you will work with the Practice Group Chair (PGC) and assigned practice leaders to develop and implement practice group objectives, while ensuring the efficient use of lawyer time on such activities.
What will this person do?
The Practice Group Manager will have a deep knowledge of our practice and take the helm in executing operating needs, driving business development, and monitoring finance and performance analytics. In other words, we’re looking for a manager to take the lead and deliver measurable success for the MEPTA group.
You are the right person if you’re a true driver, a go-getter, someone who prides themselves on getting things done and exhibits a fearlessness to question existing processes and provide forward-thinking, innovative solutions. We are experienced, practical, and connected attorneys who are eager to partner with you.
- Support the Practice Group Chair:
- Act as a trusted advisor to the assigned practice group chair in shaping overall practice group and, where relevant, sub-group strategies
- Support the PGC in other functions identified by the PGC so as to enable the PGC to focus on those things most appropriate and worthy of the PGC’s time (including the PGC’s legal practice), while keeping the PGC’s overall time investment at a reasonable level
- Serve as primary liaison between practice group chairs/other practice leaders and staff departments to execute on practice group operating needs while reducing the amount of administrative time spent by practice leaders
- Own Practice Group Operations:
Business Development and Client Service
- Together with the practice management team, advise on where to focus business development efforts, including performing research on industry trends, prospective clients and competitors’ marketing activities
- Lead firm-wide request for proposal (RFP) responses that involve significant practice group participation, complex pricing, and multiple relationship partners
- In partnership with Marketing Communications group, develop, refine and promote the assigned practice group’s brands through traditional marketing activities as well as innovative new methods
- Partner with other practice managers to share best practices and cross-marketing and business development opportunities
- Primarily support key client teams that are led by PGC or other key attorneys in assigned practice group. Support would include not only business development and client development, but also operational support such as billing and internal communications
- Find and negotiate sponsorships and manage client seminars and speaking opportunities for assigned practice groups
- Coach individual partners and associates on personalized business development plans
- Supervise and take responsibility for the work product of a practice management specialist or coordinator in doing the above-mentioned business development, marketing, and client service activities
- Review and analyze financial data relating to the practice group. Work with the PGC and Accounting Department to customize the data presented to the practice group and to provide context, explanation and action items to the PGC
- Work with the PGC to develop and monitor practice group budgets. Exercise judgment in handling unanticipated budget requests in order to reduce administrative time spent by PGC. Act as primary approver on budget-related requests for all attorneys in practice group
- In partnership with Director, Practice Management establish reports, milestones and suitable metrics for monitoring execution of strategic goals for client service levels and financial targets
- Partner with Professional Development to develop PG-specific training programs
- Liaise with Professional Development to manage the associate review and evaluation process so as to focus the time of PGCs and other partners on mentoring and coaching as opposed to administrative activities
- Liaise with the Recruiting Department to manage the law school and lateral recruiting process as it relates to the Practice Group so as to minimize the administrative burden on PGCs and other partners
- Lead efforts to logistically and culturally integrate lateral partner hires to the practice group within the firm
Join us if you have:
- 5+ years as a business development professional in a professional services organization; law firm experience or prior experience as a practicing attorney is a plus
- An ability to develop professional working relationships and create a consultative, advisory-type level of trust with attorneys
- A demonstrated understanding of the business of law, including finance, sales and marketing, staffing models and industry trends
- Strong ability to lead complex RFP responses
- Experience managing a team and the ability to own multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong writing skills and excellent grammar, spelling and proofreading skills; Ability to pay close attention to detail and be highly organized and accurate
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain effective working relationships and communicate verbally and in writing in a professional, courteous manner with clients, firm members, and other business contacts
- Demonstrated ability to provide direction and guidance in business plan development efforts – at the individual, practice group and office levels
- Experience negotiating sponsorship contracts
- Demonstrated understanding of alternative fee arrangements in the service industry (understanding of law firm pricing models a plus)
- Demonstrated ability to coach and develop business development skills, both among staff and attorneys
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office Products required, i.e. Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel; CRM technology a plus
- Ability to travel occasionally within the United States
- Master’s degree in Marketing or Business Administration or similar field, or JD preferred
Who We Are
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm with eight offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
What’s in it For You?
DWT offers competitive compensation in addition to ample benefits including but not limited to:
- Choice of health and vision insurance plans
- 2 paid volunteer days for qualifying community service work
- Dental plan
- Fertility and adoption benefit
- Paid sabbatical after 13 years of service
- Tuition reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Retirement contribution
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.