Paralegal - Employment Class Action / Wage & Hour
This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S.! Davis Wright Tremaine is looking for an experienced Paralegal to join our Wage & Hour team in one of our California offices (Los Angeles or San Francisco).
This position provides a comprehensive range of support to attorneys and case teams on medium to large employment litigation matters, primarily wage-hour class action litigation, and to oversee the work of associated legal secretaries, administrative staff, clerks, and/or temporary employees in the performance of client-related tasks. The paralegal will work to preserve, collect and analyze information utilizing a variety of software programs.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion and innovation.
Wage and Hour
- Perform in-depth analysis of payroll and time records.
- Assist in the preparation of damage analysis models for attorney and/or client to determine potential wage and hour claim results.
- Participate in witness interviews.
- Prepare liability summaries, timelines and status updates to keep both the lawyer and client apprised of all developments.
Class Action and Single Plaintiff Litigation
- Manage multiple cases from start through resolution.
- Perform complex fact research and analysis; retrieve and review documents from clients, other parties, and outside sources such as the Internet, public agencies, courts or libraries, and case, statutory and/or regulatory law; prepare memoranda or summaries documenting research
- Extensive document management, including gathering, indexing, analyzing and producing documents and data in various electronic formats.
- Prepare, quality control, and maintain class member information spreadsheet for duration of class action.
- Request and summarize third party documents, including, but not limited to employment and medical records.
- Review and analyze case documents for production (including privilege review and preparation of privilege logs).
- Review and code electronic e-mails and case documents in Relativity.
- Assist attorneys with preparation for depositions, mediations, briefs and trial preparation: assist with pretrial documents (deposition designations, exhibit and witness list, organize exhibits, files and other supporting documents.
- Assist during trial: manage exhibits, coordinating witnesses, in addition to assisting with case presentation during trial and any other duties associated with trial.
- Proactively serve as the focal point for litigation team communications and centralized repository for information on project assignments and status
- Work with secretaries and docketing personnel to ensure that both calendar systems contain accurate and current information Draft routine legal documents, including but not limited to, deposition notices, witness and exhibit lists.
- Draft and issue subpoenas for records depositions, witness depositions and attendance at trial.
- Oversee creation, indexing, and continued maintenance of complex case files and document collections
- 7+ years of paralegal experience, including state wage and hour cases, including collective and class actions
- Bachelor’s degree and completion of paralegal program of study, or clear demonstration of equivalent knowledge and skill
Skills and Abilities
- Experience and desire for litigating California wage-hour class actions in state and federal court.
- Experience handling investigations before the U.S. Department of Labor, the California Department of Industrial Relations, the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, EEOC and other state and local human rights agencies
- Experience working with employment litigation in federal and state court
- Highly developed skills in time and task management
- Highly developed attention to detail in striving for perfection in the firm’s work product and client service
- Written communications that are concise and accurate
- Experience communicating with clients and vendors
- Exhibit confidence and professional verbal communication skills
- Advanced proficiency in using Microsoft Office computerized business applications (Word, Excel, and Outlook) for the creation and editing of complex documents, spreadsheets, and e-mail
- Proficiency in using computerized legal research and document retention databases, like Westlaw, Relativity, for performance of legal and fact research and effective management of complex evidence and case files
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 01032020 W&H Paralegal (CA)