This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S and to begin your career as a paralegal. Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is looking for an energetic legal support professional to join our team in Portland. This position is responsible for performing entry to mid-level paralegal and administrative work supporting the firm’s advocacy groups. Candidate must be highly detail orientated, exercise sound judgment, and possess strong administrative, organizational and interpersonal skills while prioritizing and managing multiple assignments.
DWT is a full service law firm with more than 500 attorneys practicing in offices across the United States and China. Headquartered in Seattle and with offices in Bellevue, Portland, Anchorage, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, Washington D.C., and Shanghai; we serve clients with local, regional, national, and international interests.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
(With day-to-day oversight and quality control by paralegals and additional tasks as requested)
- Perform complex case file maintenance and indexing; retrieve materials for use by attorneys and/or paralegal upon request.
- Organize and prepare exhibits for use in motions practice as directed.
- Organize and maintain special collections of documents (including witness files, subject and issue files, experts’ reliance documents, etc.) as directed.
- Assist with preparing documents for production, in paper and/or electronic form, and drafting privilege logs as directed.
- Work with litigation databases to manage documents produced by client and other parties; search databases to identify and retrieve documents as needed.
- Prepare exhibits for use at depositions and assist with tracking testimony exhibits.
- Preparation for and assistance at trial or other proceedings.
- Assist with preparation of exhibit and witness lists, designations of deposition testimony, and other materials as directed.
- Assist with other tasks before and during trial as requested by the trial team (binder assembly, etc.).
- Accurately and completely record billable time spent and tasks performed in accordance with firm policy and client-imposed billing protocols; enter and release time promptly in compliance with the firm’s announced deadlines.
- Accurately and promptly submit records of hours worked in compliance with the firm’s established deadlines.
- Administrative support as needed.
- 2+ years’ experience supporting advocacy legal teams, or clear demonstration of equivalent knowledge or skill.
- Four-year degree and completion of a legal assistant program preferred.
- Familiarity with court procedures and rules.
- College level writing and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office computerized business applications (Word, Excel, and Outlook) for the creation and editing of complex documents, spreadsheets, and e-mail.
- Experience with: Relativity and (or) other document review/hosting databases ; PACER; Lexis/Nexis; Westlaw; Word; CompuLaw; Excel; PowerPoint.
- Experience with complex commercial litigation.
- Ability to prioritize assignments, work under pressure, and meet deadlines.
- High degree of attention to detail.
- Flexibility to work overtime.