This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S.! Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is looking for an Office Administrator (OA) to join our team in the Washington D.C. office.
OAs are empathetic leaders, innovative business directors, and most importantly, nurturers of our firm culture.
This position is responsible for the management of the Washington, D.C. office with approximately 80 attorneys and 65 staff, including overall supervision of the administrative and support operations. The Office Administrator acts as a liaison between firm management and the office, setting a tone that is consistent with the goals and objectives of the firm. In co-ordination with the Washington, D.C. office Partner-in-Charge ("PIC"), the Office Administrator shall assume responsibility for the management and administrative functions, relieving the PIC of those duties whenever possible.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion. DWT fosters inclusiveness and authenticity. Regardless of position, everyone here has a voice and the support is unparalleled.
On a typical day you will:
- Manage/supervise Operations Supervisor
- Manage and plan expansion or office remodel projects in collaboration with the Director of Operations
- Approve hybrid office assignments and changes
- Act as final decision maker on any facilities issues not involving the office lease (e.g. procurement of office supplies, services, furniture and equipment, special requests)
- Manage/supervise Legal Assistant Manager
- Keep advised regarding discipline/discharge issues
- Facilitate resolution of issues which arise between staff and lawyers or other employees
- Evaluate staff training needs in collaboration with Professional Development
- Determine staffing levels
- Acquire and manage freelance and temporary employee resources, to support variations in workload for the office
- Develop office procedures as needed
- Facilitate internal communications
- Maintain relationship with outside vendors
- Act as interface with general and administration departments (e.g. Finance, IT, Human Resources, Professional Development, Central Records)
- Facilitate discussion of any issues of concern to lawyers and staff; act as liaison between lawyers and staff
- Promote integration of office efforts with firm-wide efforts
- Assist with yearly budgeting process and review and approve expenses charged to the DC office
- Work closely with other office administrators and firm-wide directors and managers to ensure delivery of quality services to the firm’s legal professionals
Support to Partner-In-Charge (PIC)
- Work closely with the partner-in-charge in planning and execution of office-related initiatives involving staff, attorneys and operations
- Co-ordinate on budget and approval of expenses
- Collaborate with PIC for resolution of issues regarding staff and/or attorneys
- Provide support with attorney programs or initiatives as requested
We're open to candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, but it is helpful if you have:
- 5+ years’ experience in staff supervision and management in a professional services environment; law firm experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, or equivalent certification/experience
- Thorough knowledge of all applicable state, local and federal laws
- Demonstrated experience managing and decision-making for an administrative staff of over 50 employees
- Demonstrated leadership in coaching, motivating and developing staff in a professional and collaborative manner
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with all levels of a professional services organization
- High degree of problem-solving skills; ability to handle highly-sensitive and confidential employee relations issues
- Ability to anticipate potential conflict and reach satisfactory resolution
- Experience with budget preparation and expenditure control
Who We Are
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm with 11 offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
What’s in it For You?
DWT offers competitive compensation in addition to ample benefits including but not limited to:
- Choice of health and vision insurance plans
- 2 paid volunteer days for qualifying community service work
- Dental plan
- Fertility and adoption benefit
- Paid sabbatical after 13 years of service
- Tuition reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Retirement contribution
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP embraces diversity, equity and inclusion. It brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are part of the fabric of Davis Wright Tremaine-central to who we are and what we do. Our vision is to foster a culture where all talented individuals-including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the legal profession-can have, and can see, a path to success. In order to support this vision, we request that you voluntarily provide the following demographic data. All self-reported demographic information is stored securely in a manner that is compliant with DWT’s privacy and security policies and is only accessible by authorized members of the Talent Acquisition and HR Departments; it is not shared with any of the hiring decision-makers.
Davis Wright Tremaine provides reasonable accommodations for those who need them to complete the application or recruiting process and for employees who need reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their positions due to a disability or for religious reasons. If you need to request accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please email CarrieMcIntyre@dwt.com.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Reference #: oTXRmfwN