This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S. Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is looking for an enthusiastic legal assistant, to join our team in Seattle. This position provides critical support for a client project team, including typing, editing and formatting legal documents and correspondence, filing documents with various courts and the American Arbitration Association (AAA), both electronically and by messenger, arranging for service of documents on opposing counsel, telephone communications with clients and business contacts, file maintenance, substantial data entry, and other tasks as assigned.
DWT is a full service law firm with more than 500 attorneys practicing in offices across the United States and China. Headquartered in Seattle and with offices in Bellevue, Portland, Anchorage, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, Washington D.C., and Shanghai; we serve clients with local, regional, national, and international interests.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Type, proofread, format and edit correspondence, pleadings, discovery responses, and other legal documents, often with short deadlines.
- Daily entry of information and documents into electronic databases.
- Open new client matters and initiate conflict checks.
- Maintain paper and electronic files.
- Draft correspondence and communicate with project team and client contacts.
- Schedule appointments, depositions, meetings; maintain calendars; set up conference calls.
- File pleadings in state and federal courts in many different venues, as well as in AAA arbitration proceedings.
- Track and calendar internal and litigation deadlines.
- Answer, screen, and respond to phone calls.
- Open and route mail and email; attach files and documents.
- Enter billable time into time-keeping system.
- 2+ years’ experience as a litigation secretary, or similar experience.
- A high school diploma or GED certification is required.
- Strong skills in word processing and computer use: ability to type 65 wpm with high accuracy; proficiency in MS Office Products (Word, Outlook, Excel) and Adobe Acrobat or Nuance required; some knowledge of PowerPoint, time keeping programs, NetDocs, and SharePoint sites preferred; ability to perform internet research.
- Experience filing documents with state and federal courts, as well as with the American Arbitration Association preferred.
- Able to read and understand court/arbitration rules, and to ensure compliance with assigned judge’s individual rules and practices.
- High attention to detail and sensitivity to confidential materials.
- Able and willing to learn new electronic programs.
- Excellent grammar, proofreading and organizational skills.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- High level of energy; able to work at a fast pace and to prioritize tasks.
- Able to work in a team-oriented, service focused environment and to handle stressful situations in calm, composed manner.
- Able to understand and follow work instructions with minimal supervision.
- Availability and willingness to work overtime as needed or requested.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.