This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S.! Davis Wright Tremaine is looking for a Legal Secretary to join our team in Los Angeles.
This position provides a comprehensive range of secretarial support to attorneys including typing, editing and/or formatting legal documents and correspondence, filing documents with various courts, both electronically and via messenger, arranging for service of documents on opposing counsel, telephone communications with clients and business contacts, inputting attorney time, paper and electronic file maintenance, calendar and contacts maintenance, coordinating travel arrangements, preparing reimbursement forms and other tasks as assigned.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion and innovation.
In this role, you will:
- Type, proofread, format and edit correspondence, pleadings, memoranda, agreements and other legal documents under time-sensitive deadlines. Some pleading drafting. Conversion of both paper and electronic files to PDF format.
- Process heavy court filings including serving pleadings with the court and on opposing and associated counsel, at state and federal level and in many different venues.
- Open new client and new matter files.
- Maintain attorney and client files, both paper and electronic formats. Maintain email and electronic files.
- Organize and maintain binders for trial, working papers, and business development purposes.
- Schedule appointments, depositions, meetings; maintain calendars; make travel arrangements; set up conference calls.
- Track litigation deadlines, provide deadlines to docketing and confirm deadlines are docketed correctly.
- Answer, screen and respond to phone calls.
- Open and route mail and email, attaching files and documents.
- Enter attorney time into time-keeping program.
- Maintain and track CLE records for attorneys.
- Prepare and submit expense/reimbursement reports.
- Assist fellow secretaries and additional attorneys as needed.
- 5+ years’ experience as a litigation secretary.
- Strong skills in word processing and computer use: ability to type 85 wpm with high accuracy; proficiency in MS Office Products (Word, Outlook, Excel) and Adobe Acrobat required; some knowledge of PowerPoint, time keeping programs, NetDocs preferred.
- Current experience with 9th Circuit and U.S. Supreme Court, preferred.
- Current experience filing documents with State and Federal Courts, including electronic filing. Ability to read and understand court rules, including rules for courts you have not worked with before, and to ensure compliance with assigned judge’s Individual Rules and Practices.
- High attention to detail and sensitivity to confidential and sensitive materials required.
- High level of energy required.
- Very fast paced desk and attorneys; ability to prioritize on a constant and high level basis required.
- Ability and willingness to learn new programs and program updates.
- Excellent transcription, grammar, proofreading and organizational skills.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with all levels of a professional services organization.
- Ability to communicate by telephone in a professional, courteous manner with clients, firm members, and other business contacts.
- Ability to prioritize tasks on a desk and to handle multiple demands from multiple people.
- Ability to understand and follow work instructions with minimal supervision.
- Ability to follow client confidentiality guidelines.
- High School Diploma or GED, Bachelor’s degree preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms, and frequently required to sit, stand, walk, and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer, and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.