This is an excellent opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S. Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is looking for an experienced litigation professional to join the Los Angeles office. DWT is a full service law firm with more than 500 attorneys practicing in offices across the United States and China. Headquartered in Seattle and with offices in Bellevue, Portland, Anchorage, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, and Washington D.C; we serve clients with local, regional, national, and international interests.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Type, proofread, format and edit correspondence, pleadings, memoranda, agreements and other legal documents under time-sensitive deadlines. Some pleading drafting. Conversion of both paper and electronic files to pdf format.
- Heavy court filings including serving pleadings with the court and on opposing and associated counsel, at state and federal level and in many different venues.
- Open new client and new matter files.
- Maintain attorney and client files, both paper and electronic formats. Maintain email and electronic files.
- Organize and maintain binders for trial, working papers, and business development purposes.
- Schedule appointments, depositions, meetings; maintain calendars; make travel arrangements; set up conference calls.
- Track litigation deadlines, provide deadlines to docketing and confirm deadlines are docketed correctly.
- Answer, screen and respond to phone calls.
- Open and route mail and email, attaching files and documents.
- Enter attorney time into time-keeping program.
- Maintain and track CLE records for attorneys.
- Prepare and submit expense/reimbursement reports.
- Assist fellow secretaries and additional attorneys as needed.
- 5+ years’ experience as a litigation secretary.
- Strong skills in word processing and computer use: ability to type 85 wpm with high accuracy; proficiency in MS Office Products (Word, Outlook, Excel) and Adobe Acrobat required; some knowledge of PowerPoint, time keeping programs, NetDocs preferred.
- Current experience with 9th Circuit and U.S. Supreme Court, preferred.
- Current experience filing documents with State and Federal Courts, including electronic filing. Ability to read and understand court rules, including rules for courts you have not worked with before, and to ensure compliance with assigned judge’s Individual Rules and Practices.
- High attention to detail and sensitivity to confidential and sensitive materials required.
- High level of energy required.
- Very fast paced desk and attorneys; ability to prioritize on a constant and high level basis required.
- Ability and willingness to learn new programs and program updates.
- Excellent transcription, grammar, proofreading and organizational skills.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with all levels of a professional services organization.
- Ability to communicate by telephone in a professional, courteous manner with clients, firm members, and other business contacts.
- Ability to prioritize tasks on a desk and to handle multiple demands from multiple people.
- Ability to understand and follow work instructions with minimal supervision.
- Ability to follow client confidentiality guidelines.
- High School Diploma or GED, Bachelor’s degree preferred.