Litigation Paralegal - Discovery
Join innovative litigation practice representing key firm technology clients
The litigation paralegal role requires discovery experience, including drafting discovery responses and creating and managing databases and imaging systems. In this role, you will operate in a collaborative team environment focused on supporting key firm technology clients.
We value entrepreneurial self-starters who bring innovative solutions to the table. If you have a demonstrated history of proposing and implementing process improvements and have excellent analytical and organizational abilities, solid communication and management skills, creativity and initiative, we want to talk to you.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion. DWT fosters inclusiveness and authenticity. Regardless of position, everyone here has a voice and the support is unparalleled.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
Client Team Management
- Serve as the focal point for team communications and information on project assignments
- Oversee creation and maintenance of databases tracking third-party discovery requests
- Provide direction regarding handling of subpoenas and other legal requests
- Triage legal issues and escalate to attorneys, as needed
- Check conflicts, assign matters, prepare draft responses and objections to discovery demands
- Supervise work of paralegal assistants and provide training as needed
- Interact directly with client representatives while carrying out discovery tasks
- Develop extensive client knowledge and help direct the work of the client team
Research & Discovery
- Collect and review client data, potentially including through database tools provided by clients
- Conduct initial review of client documents and emails to determine responsiveness and to identify documents protected by attorney-client privilege
- Perform complex database searches to locate and retrieve selected documents
- Prepare documents or data for production, with a focus on responsiveness and privacy concerns
- Respond to counsel regarding status of discovery responses, and escalate matters to attorneys as needed
- Accurately and completely record billable time in accordance with firm policy and client-imposed billing protocols; enter and release time promptly in compliance with the firm’s announced deadlines
- Accurately and promptly submit records of hours worked in compliance with the firm’s established deadlines
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance and punctuality. Adhere to schedule by being timely on breaks, lunches and meetings
- Accept and perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Join us if you have:
- The willingness to learn in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines
- A highly developed attention to detail
- Post-college level writing and oral communication skills
- An interest in the use of technology in the work place
- Advanced proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office computerized business applications (Word, Excel, and Outlook) for the creation and editing of complex documents, spreadsheets, and e-mail
- Proficiency in the use of document retention databases like Relativity and in tracking systems like SharePoint
- Experience with discovery requests covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act is a plus
3+ years of litigation paralegal experience and a Bachelor’s degree is helpful, but we are open to candidates from non-traditional backgrounds who have transferrable skills to succeed.
Who We Are
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm with eight offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
What’s in it For You?
DWT offers competitive compensation in addition to ample benefits including but not limited to:
- Choice of health and vision insurance plans
- 2 paid volunteer days for qualifying community service work
- Dental plan
- Fertility and adoption benefit
- Paid sabbatical after 13 years of service
- Tuition reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Retirement contribution
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.