This position is responsible for providing a comprehensive range of secretarial support to attorneys including typing, editing and/or formatting legal documents and correspondence, filing documents with various courts, both electronically and via messenger, arranging for service of documents on opposing and associated counsel, telephone communications with clients and business contacts, inputting attorney time, paper and electronic file maintenance, calendar and contacts maintenance, coordinating travel arrangements, preparing reimbursement forms and other tasks as assigned in a team environment.
- Type, proofread, format and edit correspondence, pleadings, memoranda, agreements and other legal documents under time-sensitive deadlines. Some pleading drafting. Conversion of both paper and electronic files to pdf format.
- File and serve pleadings with the court and regulatory commissions and on opposing and associated counsel, at state and federal level and in many different venues.
- Open new client and new matter files using Metastorm software.
- Maintain attorney and client files, both paper and electronic formats. Maintain email and electronic files using Imanage.
- Organize and maintain binders for trials mediations arbitrations, working papers, closing transactions and business development purposes.
- Schedule appointments, depositions, meetings; maintain calendars; make travel arrangements; set up conference calls; arrange food service.
- Track litigation and closing deadlines, provide deadlines to docketing and confirm deadlines are docketed correctly.
- Answer, screen and respond to phone calls.
- Receive/route mail and email, attaching appropriate files and documents; oversee scanning to system.
- Back up for entering and proofing attorney time in time-keeping program.
- Maintain and track CLE records for attorneys.
- Prepare and submit expense/reimbursement reports.
- Assist fellow secretaries and additional attorneys as needed.
- 3+ years experience as a legal secretary.
- Strong skills in word processing and computer use: ability to type 85 wpm with high accuracy; proficiency in MS Office Products (Word, WordDocx, Outlook, Excel) and Adobe Acrobat/Nitro/Pro required; knowledge of PowerPoint, time keeping programs, NetDocs preferred; ability to perform internet research.
- High degree of attention to detail and sensitivity to confidential and sensitive materials required.
- High level of energy required.
- Fast paced desk and attorneys; ability to prioritize on a constant and high level basis required.
- Ability and willingness to learn new programs and program updates.
- Excellent spelling, grammar, proofreading and organizational skills.
- Current experience with Government Contracts, including GAO protests preferred.
- Current experience filing documents with AK State and Federal Courts, including electronic filing. Ability to read and understand court rules, including rules for courts you have not worked with before, and to ensure compliance with assigned judge’s Individual Rules and Practices.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with all levels of a professional services organization, including interpersonal skills. Ability to work in a team-oriented, service focused environment and to handle stressful situations in a calm, composed manner.
- Ability to partner with assistants and staff in other DWT offices
- Ability to communicate by telephone in a professional, courteous manner with clients, firm members, and other business contacts.
- Ability to prioritize tasks on a desk and to handle multiple demands from multiple people.
- Ability to understand and follow work instructions with minimal supervision.
- Ability to follow client confidentiality guidelines.
- Ability to read and write in English.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.