Legal Secretary Manager
This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S.! Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is looking for a Legal Secretary Manager to join our team in Los Angeles.
The primary function of this position is to provide daily supervision and support to the Legal Secretary team in Los Angeles, to ensure that they are meeting the needs and goals of the firm by producing timely, high quality work product and customer service. This position also assesses performance, establishes goal-setting objectives, advises on policies and procedures, and works with the Regional Office Administrator – California and Secretary Managers in other offices on projects and initiatives.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion and innovation.
In this role, you will:
- Provide day to day supervision for the Legal Secretary staff, including managing staffing levels, coverage and scheduling
- Manage time and attendance, including bi-weekly timesheet approvals and leave requests
- Partner with the Regional Office Administrator – California to conduct semi-annual check-ins, to set individual goals for secretaries, and to determine annual compensation
- Provide employee relations support including, but not limited to, coaching, counseling and interpreting policy; address performance issues, including developing and implementing a performance improvement plan in collaboration with Regional Office Administrator – California and Human Resources team
- Motivate staff; promote positive change and actively facilitate necessary training to develop the Legal Secretary staff
- Monitor and ensure that the Legal Secretary staff work product is timely, accurate and meets the needs of their attorneys, paralegals and clients
- Establish, document and maintain Legal Secretary policies and procedures; identify and implement process improvements to increase efficiency and accuracy
- Welcome challenges and take a proactive approach to problem solving
- Mentor and share valuable training information with others
- Efficiently manage complex and challenging workflow; track overtime usage supporting budget management
- Take initiative to understand attorneys’ client service needs; identify opportunities for legal secretaries to contribute to client relationship success by raising concerns and/or opportunities to improve; offer potential solutions and participate in the agreed upon course of action to reach the desired goals
- Provide Legal Secretary support as needed
Join us if you have:
- 10+ years’ experience as a Legal Secretary in a law firm environment; acting in a lead or supervisory/management role supervising staff is a plus
- Ability to supervise a team of 20+ staff; creating a positive working environment for a team of employees, investing in their successes and being a leader by example
- A high school diploma or GED certification
- Outstanding customer service skills, professional demeanor, discretion and flexibility; set high goals or standards of performance for self and direct reports rather than having standards imposed by others
- Strong time management skills; ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment, to coordinate multiple tasks concurrently, and to meet deadlines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with all levels of a professional services organization
- High degree of problem-solving skills; ability to handle highly-sensitive and confidential employee relations issues
- Ability to anticipate potential conflict and reach satisfactory resolution
- Willingness to challenge organizational paradigms, consider new ways of working and create innovative approaches and solutions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.