Legal Assistant - Patent
This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S.! Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is looking for an experienced Legal Assistant to join our Patent team in Seattle.
This position is responsible for providing administrative support including preparing patent filings with the USPTO, docket and file maintenance, high volume typing, maintaining calendars, and otherwise providing administrative assistance as needed.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion and innovation.
In this role, you will:
- Prepare Patent Filings with the USPTO
- Demonstrate experience with AIA procedures with the USPTO
- Demonstrate experience with client special requests and client communication
- Maintain and keep attorney advised of docket and upcoming due dates
- Prepare high volume of correspondence, memoranda, agreements, and other legal documents under time sensitive deadlines
- Maintain correspondence and other legal document files electronically
- Make arrangements for messenger, postal, fax, or courier service
- Schedule appointments and maintain calendars
- Review and finalize monthly billings
- High level of proofreading and documents edits
- Provide assistance to other attorneys and staff on other projects as needed
Join us if you have:
- 3+ years’ experience in patent prosecution
- Strong word processing and computer skills; solid working knowledge of MS Word and MS Outlook required, experience with all MS Office products preferred
- Ability to type 50 wpm on word processing equipment with a high degree of accuracy
- Excellent transcription, grammar, and proofreading skills
- Ability to work independently without regular supervision
- Ability to communicate orally in a professional, courteous manner with clients, firm members, and other business contacts
- Willingness to work in a team-oriented, service environment
- Ability to organize assignments, work under pressure and meet deadlines
- High degree of attention to detail
- Willingness to work extended or flexible hours in urgencies preferred
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.