Legal Assistant - Litigation
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, a national law firm, is seeking a proactive Legal Assistant to join our Litigation team in Anchorage.
In this role, you will collaborate with our attorneys, understand their Employment Services and Litigation practices, and own non-billable administrative tasks. This includes, but not limited to, tracking high-stakes deadlines, filing documents in Federal and State courts in multiple jurisdictions nationwide, drafting engagement letters, and maintaining complex legal documents.
We value entrepreneurial self-starters who bring innovative solutions to the table. If you have the vision to see beyond a “to do” list, have a desire to learn, and are supremely client-focused, we want to talk to you. This is a great opportunity for an experienced administrative professional to join a large, national law firm.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion. DWT fosters inclusiveness and authenticity. Regardless of position, everyone here has a voice and the support is unparalleled.
On a typical day, you will:
- Type, proofread, format and edit correspondence, pleadings, memoranda, agreements and other legal documents under time-sensitive deadlines. Some pleading drafting. Conversion of both paper and electronic files to pdf format
- File and serve pleadings with the court and various state agencies and on opposing and associated counsel, at state and federal level and in many different venues
- Open new client and new matter files using firm-specific software
- Maintain attorney and client files, both paper and electronic formats. Maintain email and electronic files using NetDocuments
- Organize and maintain binders for trials mediations, arbitrations, working papers and business development purposes
- Schedule appointments, depositions, meetings; maintain calendars; make travel arrangements; set up conference calls; arrange food service
- Track litigation and closing deadlines, provide deadlines to docketing and confirm deadlines are docketed correctly
- Answer, screen and respond to phone calls
- Receive/route mail and email, attaching appropriate files and documents; oversee saving appropriately into NetDocuments
- Back up for entering and proofing attorney time in time-keeping program
- Assist with CLE records tracking for attorneys
- Prepare and submit expense/reimbursement reports
- Assist fellow secretaries and additional attorneys as needed
Join us if you have:
- At least a 2+ years’ experience as a legal assistant/secretary is helpful, but we are open to candidates from non-traditional backgrounds who have the transferrable skills to succeed.
- A high school diploma or GED certification; associate’s degree or higher preferred
- Strong skills in word processing and computer use: ability to type 85 wpm with high accuracy; proficiency in MS Office Products (Word, WordDocx, Outlook, Excel) and common PDF programs required; knowledge of PowerPoint, time keeping programs, NetDocs preferred; ability to perform internet research
- A high degree of attention to detail and sensitivity to confidential and sensitive materials
- The ability to read and understand court rules, including rules for courts you have not worked with before, and to ensure compliance with assigned judge’s Individual Rules and Practices. Experience filing documents with AK State and Federal Courts, including electronic filing is a huge plus!
- Ability and willingness to learn new programs and program updates
- Excellent spelling, grammar, proofreading and organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks on a desk and to handle multiple demands from multiple people in a professional manner
- Current experience with Government Contracts, including GAO protests preferred
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with all levels of a professional services organization, including interpersonal skills. Ability to work in a team-oriented, service focused environment and to handle stressful situations in a calm, composed manner
- Ability to partner with secretaries and staff in other DWT offices
- Ability to communicate by telephone in a professional, courteous manner with clients, firm members, and other business contacts
- Ability to understand and follow work instructions with minimal supervision
- Ability to follow client confidentiality guidelines
- Ability to read and write in English fluently
Who We Are
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm with eight offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
What’s in it For You?
DWT offers competitive compensation in addition to ample benefits including but not limited to:
- Choice of health and vision insurance plans
- 2 paid volunteer days for qualifying community service work
- Dental plan
- Fertility and adoption benefit
- Paid sabbatical after 13 years of service
- Tuition reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Retirement contribution
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.