Legal Assistant - Litigation
This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S.! Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is looking for an experienced Legal Assistant to join our Litigation team in our New York office.
The Legal Assistant is responsible for providing legal secretarial/administrative support to our team of Litigation Partners and Associates. This position focuses on client billing, typing, preparing legal documents, file maintenance, client contact, coordinating schedules, making travel arrangements and providing secretarial and administrative assistance as needed.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion. DWT fosters inclusiveness and authenticity. Regardless of position, everyone here has a voice and the support is unparalleled.
On a typical day you will:
- Draft, type, proofread and edit correspondence and documents (e.g., court forms, pleadings, memoranda, agreements and other legal documents) under time sensitive deadlines
- Enter attorney time, process and review monthly bills. High focus on client billing including primary liaison for attorney with the Accounting Department as it relates to client bills
- Schedule appointments and maintain calendars; anticipate conflicts and proactively manage schedule changes. Make travel arrangements and set up conference calls
- Maintain correspondence and other legal documents, both paper form and in electronic format (through NetDocs document management system)
- Take initiative, with attorneys’ permission, to review and save e-mail, delegate to other parties or escalate to attorney for action as appropriate
- Respond to attorney/clients needs with a sense of urgency, ensuring resolution with appropriate follow-up, (e.g., via telephone, e-mail and in person)
- Work with attorneys to prioritize, organize and relieve them of administrative tasks
- Demonstrate expertise in department-specific topics, procedures and software, (e.g., pacer, e-filing procedures)
- Make arrangements for messenger, postal, fax, or courier service as needed; provide assistance to other attorneys and staff on other projects as needed
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance and punctuality. Adhere to schedule by being timely on breaks, lunches and meetings
Join us if you have:
- 7+ years’ experience as a litigation legal secretary or executive assistant required; familiarity with law firm billing processes is a plus
- Demonstrated strong word processing and computer skills; solid working knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel and MS Outlook required, experience with all MS Office 2010 products preferred. Proofreading, NetDocs and PowerPoint skills desired
- Demonstrated ability to type 50 wpm on word processing equipment with a high degree of accuracy
- Exceptional organizational skills required; ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet conflicting deadlines
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate with finesse, use tact, diplomacy and discretion with firm contacts and clients
- Willing to work in a team-oriented, service environment; display willingness to share firm and technical knowledge with others
- High degree of attention to detail as well as initiative to learn new skills that will contribute to enhanced performance of their role
- Firm commitment to providing customer service excellence
Who We Are
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm with eight offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
What’s in it For You?
DWT offers competitive compensation in addition to ample benefits including but not limited to:
- Choice of health and vision insurance plans
- 2 paid volunteer days for qualifying community service work
- Dental plan
- Fertility and adoption benefit
- Paid sabbatical after 13 years of service
- Tuition reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Retirement contribution
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP embraces diversity and inclusion. It brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.