Legal Assistant (Litigation)
This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S.! Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is looking for an experienced Legal Assistant to join our Litigation team in our Washington D.C. office.
This position provides and coordinates administrative and secretarial support to attorneys, enabling effective use of their time. This position requires a high ability to work independently as well as in a team environment with timekeepers and staff members. Expertise in practicing the following responsibilities is required.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion and innovation.
In this role, you will:
- Schedule appointments and maintain calendars; make travel arrangements; set up conference calls
- Prepare and submit expense reimbursement reports and check requests
- Schedule conference rooms using Resource Scheduler and arrange for food service and audio-visual equipment as needed
- Enter attorney time, process and review monthly bills. High focus on client billing including primary liaison for attorney with the Accounting Department as it relates to client bills
- Check in regularly with attorneys and all appropriate team members and prompt as needed to ensure all aspects of projects are on track. Exercise careful judgment about when to ask for guidance
- Type, proofread, run comparisons, and edit correspondence, memoranda, agreements and other legal and business documents from notes, templates, drafts, or dictated text under time sensitive deadlines
- Answer, screen, and respond to phone calls
- Open and route mail, attaching appropriate files and documents
- Maintain correspondence and other legal documents, both paper form and in electronic format (through document management system)
- Manage and save e-mail communications as appropriate
- Make arrangements for messenger, postal, fax, or courier service as needed
- Complete other responsibilities as assigned
Join us if you have:
- 3+ years’ experience as an administrative/executive assistant or legal secretary in a law firm or professional services environment, preferably in litigation
- Experience working with FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) desired
- Expertise in Microsoft Word and Outlook is essential. Must also be strong in Adobe, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to understand and follow work directions, manage multiple priorities and respond to urgent requests with minimal supervision
- Ability to take initiative and ownership of projects and follow them through to completion, Excellent keyboarding, grammar, spelling and proofreading skills
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with clients, firm members, and other business contacts; as well as the ability to handle stressful situations in a calm, composed manner
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and be highly organized and accurate
- Ability to work effectively in a team-oriented, service environment
- Availability and willingness to work overtime as needed or requested
- A high school diploma or GED certification is required
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.