Legal Assistant - Immigration
This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S.! Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is looking for a Legal Assistant to join our Immigration team in Portland.
This position is responsible for providing a comprehensive range of secretarial support to attorneys and paralegals in the Immigration group, including typing, editing and/or formatting legal documents and correspondence; filing documents with various government agencies (including USCIS, CBP, and DOL), both electronically and via courier; telephone communications with clients and business contacts; inputting attorney time; paper and electronic file maintenance; calendar and contacts maintenance; coordinating travel arrangements; preparing reimbursement forms and other tasks as assigned.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion and innovation.
In this role, you will:
- Type, proofread, format and edit correspondence; finalize and file visa petitions and related supporting documents with government agencies under time-sensitive deadlines; some drafting of basic immigration forms and letters and conversion of both paper and electronic files to pdf format
- Scan and save immigration filings and related documents to immigration software and document management systems
- Provide administrative support for visa applications, including nonimmigrant visa petitions, labor certifications, green card applications, naturalization applications, and other immigration filings
- Docket /calendar immigration deadlines in internal systems
- Open new client and new matter files using LegalZoom software
- Maintain attorney and client files, both paper and electronic formats; maintain email and electronic files using NetDocs
- Schedule appointments, meetings; maintain calendars; make travel arrangements; set up conference calls; arrange food service
- Answer, screen and respond to phone calls
- Open and route mail and email, attaching appropriate files and documents
- Enter attorney time into timekeeping program
- Maintain and track CLE records for attorneys
- Prepare and submit expense/reimbursement reports
- Assist fellow secretaries and additional attorneys as needed
Join us if you have:
- 5+ years of experience as a legal secretary; 2+ years of experience in immigration, preferred
- Strong skills in word processing and computer use: ability to type 85 wpm with high accuracy; proficiency in MS Office Products (Word, Outlook, Excel) and Adobe Acrobat/Nitro required; some knowledge of PowerPoint, timekeeping programs, AccuRoute, NetDocs, and INSZoom, preferred
- A high school diploma or GED certification
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with all levels of a professional services organization, including interpersonal skills; ability to work in a team-oriented, service focused environment and to handle stressful situations in a calm, composed manner
- High degree of attention to detail
- Ability and willingness to learn new programs and program updates
- Excellent transcription, grammar, proofreading and organizational skills
- Ability to communicate by telephone in a professional, courteous manner with clients, firm members, and other business contacts
- Ability to prioritize tasks on a desk and to handle multiple demands from multiple people
- Ability to understand and follow work instructions with minimal supervision
- Ability to follow client confidentiality guidelines
- Ability to read and write in English
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.