Legal Assistant - Corporate and Business Transactions
This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S.! Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is looking for an experienced Legal Assistant to join our Corporate and Business Transactions team in our Seattle office.
The Legal Assistant will provide and coordinate administrative and clerical support to attorneys and paralegals in the business transaction practices, supporting effective use of their time. This position requires an ability to work independently as well as in a team environment with timekeepers and staff members. Expertise supporting business transactions required. Additional experience mergers and acquisitions practices is a plus.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion. DWT fosters inclusiveness and authenticity. Regardless of position, everyone here has a voice and the support is unparalleled.
On a typical day you will:
- Understand assigned timekeepers’ practice and clients
- Extensive interaction with clients; acts as intermediary with clients and responds to client requests
- Manage client billing process, including review and editing of pre-bills
- Maintain up-to-date forms, including collaboration with other departments on templates
- Check in regularly with attorney to ensure all aspects of any project are under control. Prompt as needed. Exercise careful judgment about when to ask for guidance
- Assign appropriate tasks to other departments, and support staff. Follow up on status of all projects to ensure timely completion
- Communicate clearly with all appropriate team members on project status
- Set up data rooms for transactions; provide required information to IT for initial set up, organize data room structure, populate data room with required documents, communicate access information to data room participants, update and maintain data room, maintain due diligence/document production checklist in connection with data room documents
- Identify and organize documents for closings of complex financing or acquisition transactions, prepare initial checklists, research possible forms of documents, manage formatting for uniformity across all documents
- Assist with transaction closings; monitor and update checklists, organize documents and signature packets for execution, monitor status of documentation and organize final executed documents as received, review documents for completeness, maintain electronic record of final executed documents, organize documents for closing transcripts, produce and transmit closing transcripts, distribute stock certificates
- Ensure that relevant documents are filed in the client’s minute book records and that equity ownership information is properly maintained
- Docket reminders for annual corporate filings (e.g., stock plan registration)
- Type, proofread, run comparisons, and edit correspondence, memoranda, agreements and other legal and business documents from notes, templates, drafts, or dictated text under time sensitive deadlines
- Maintain attorney and client records. Maintain email and electronic records
- Open new client and new matter files
- Schedule and coordinate appointments, meetings and conference calls and maintain calendars
- Answer, screen, and respond to phone calls
- Open and route mail, attaching appropriate files and documents
- Prepare and submit expense reimbursement reports and check requests
- Make travel arrangements
- Schedule conference rooms and arrange for food service and audio-visual equipment as needed
- Assist fellow assistants and additional attorneys as needed
- Notarize documents. Position may require assistant to become and maintain Washington Notary
Join us if you can:
- A minimum of three years’ experience as a legal assistant/secretary in a law firm environment is required. Expertise supporting business transactions, mergers and acquisitions practices is required
- Ability to understand and follow work directions, manage multiple priorities and respond to urgent requests with minimal supervision
- Ability to take initiative and ownership of projects and follow them through to completion, regardless of who is doing the work
- Expertise in Microsoft Word and Outlook is essential. Must also be proficient in Adobe/Nuance, DocuSign, Excel and PowerPoint. Experience with Office 2016 and Windows 10 is preferred
- Excellent keyboarding, grammar, spelling and proofreading skills
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with clients, firm members, and other business contacts
- Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills, as well as the ability to handle stressful situations in a calm, composed manner
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and be highly organized and accurate
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team-oriented, service environment
- A high school diploma or GED certification is required
- Availability and willingness to work overtime as needed or requested
Who We Are
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm with eight offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
What’s in it For You?
DWT offers competitive compensation in addition to ample benefits including but not limited to:
- Choice of health and vision insurance plans
- 2 paid volunteer days for qualifying community service work
- Dental plan
- Fertility and adoption benefit
- Paid sabbatical after 13 years of service
- Tuition reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Retirement contribution
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.