IDS Specialist (Patent Legal Assistant)
This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S.! Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is looking for an IDS Specialist to join our team. This position can be fully remote while working within reasonable commuting distance to any of our offices in Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington D.C., New York City or Anchorage.
This position is responsible for preparing U.S. and foreign patent disclosures, filing Information Disclosure Statements ("IDSs") with the USPTO, managing patent literature, uploading information to databases, and maintaining client information and files.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion. DWT fosters inclusiveness and authenticity. Regardless of position, everyone here has a voice and the support is unparalleled.
On a typical day you will:
- Update and maintain database of prior art references
- Locate copies of patent references and non-patent literature
- Prepare and file Information Disclosure Statements with the USPTO
- Prepare disclosure listings for filing in foreign jurisdictions
- Accurately and completely record billable time spent and tasks performed in accordance with firm policy and client-imposed billing protocol, enter and release time promptly in compliance with firm's announced deadlines
Join us if you have:
- 1+ years’ experience as a patent legal secretary, IDS specialist, or other patent prosecution support position preferred
- High degree of attention to detail required
- Experience with creating and maintaining spreadsheets and/or databases required
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to handle multiple demands from multiple people
- Experience with IPDAS preferred
- Experience with electronic filings via the USPTO website preferred
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written; ability to work in a team-oriented, service focused environment and to handle stressful situations in a calm, composed manner
- Ability to understand and follow work instructions with minimal supervision
- Strong skills in word processing and computer use: ability to type 40+ wpm with high accuracy; proficiency in MS Office Products (Word, Outlook, Excel) and Adobe Acrobat required; some knowledge of time keeping programs, NetDocuments preferred; ability to perform internet research
- Ability and willingness to learn new programs and program updates
- Excellent transcription, grammar, proofreading and organizational skills
- Ability to communicate by telephone in a professional, courteous manner with clients, firm members, and other business contacts
- Ability to follow client procedures and confidentiality guidelines
- Willingness to work extended or flexible hours in urgent situations preferred
Who We Are
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm with eight offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
What’s in it For You?
DWT offers competitive compensation in addition to ample benefits including but not limited to:
- Choice of health and vision insurance plans
- 2 paid volunteer days for qualifying community service work
- Dental plan
- Fertility and adoption benefit
- Paid sabbatical after 13 years of service
- Tuition reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Retirement contribution
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are part of the fabric of Davis Wright Tremaine-central to who we are and what we do. Our vision is to foster a culture where all talented individuals-including those from traditionally underrepresented populations-can have, and can see, a path to success. We are committed to fostering DEI because it makes our firm better, in every way. At DWT, every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.
Davis Wright Tremaine provides reasonable accommodations for those who need them to complete the application or recruiting process and for employees who need reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their positions due to a disability or for religious reasons. If you need to request accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please contact email@example.com.
Job Reference #: oAqPhfwQ