Healthcare Litigation Paralegal
This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S.! Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is looking for a Healthcare Litigation Paralegal to join our team in the Sacramento office.
This position is responsible for providing paralegal support in connection with the firm’s Healthcare Litigation Practice Group. It requires complex litigation experience, including managing large discovery, creating and managing databases and imaging systems, preparing for trial, and managing trial support. Must have high-level experience with a range of litigation support applications. Demonstrated history of proposing and implementing process improvements is a plus, excellent analytical and organizational abilities, solid communication and management skills, creativity and initiative.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion. DWT fosters inclusiveness and authenticity. Regardless of position, everyone here has a voice and the support is unparalleled.
On a typical day you will:
- Proactively serve as the focal point for Healthcare litigation team communications and centralized repository for information on project assignments and status
- Work with secretaries and docketing personnel to ensure that both calendar systems contain accurate and current information
- Oversee creation, indexing, and continued maintenance of complex case files and document collections
- Proofread legal memoranda to identify and correct typographical and grammatical errors; check all citations to legal authorities and to the evidence for accuracy of citations and forms of citation consistent with The Bluebook and/or specific court requirements; verify history of cited cases
- Coordinate and manage court filings, either in paper or electronic form as determined by court requirements
Research & Discovery
- Perform complex legal and fact research and analysis; retrieve and review documents from clients, other parties, and outside sources such as the Internet, public agencies, courts or libraries, as well as case, statutory and/or regulatory law; prepare memoranda or summaries documenting research
- Manage the creation and maintenance of special collections of documents (including witness files, subject and issue files, experts’ reliance documents, etc.)
- May prepare initial drafts of discovery requests and responses and other pleadings and memoranda
- Assist with and participate in collection of client and other parties’ documents; manage detailed tracking of document collection; work with litigation support to ensure proper collection of electronic documents and files
- Conduct interviews of witnesses and file custodians
- Work with litigation support to retain vendors, as needed, for all aspects of document production and review; conduct quality control assessment of work performed by vendors
- Draft memoranda or other documents memorializing in detail the processes used in collecting and producing client documents
- Conduct initial review of client documents to determine responsiveness and relevance and to identify documents protected by attorney-client privilege; draft privilege logs
- Perform complex database searches to locate and retrieve selected documents
- Prepare the preparation of exhibits for use at depositions and maintain a system to track marked exhibits
- Manage the collection and status of deposition transcripts; perform searches in the deposition full-text database; summarize deposition transcripts
Preparation for and Assistance at Trial or Other Proceedings
- Assist with trial, arbitration, mediation, or deposition proceedings (tasks include, but are not limited to: preparation of exhibit and witness lists, designations of deposition testimony, preparation of the trial brief)
- Coordinate logistics with court personnel and other counsel
- Work with trial support vendor and/or internal litigation support staff to select, prepare, and operate courtroom technology; coordinate set-up and use of technology with courtroom personnel and other counsel
- Assist attorneys at trial, arbitration, mediation, or deposition (e.g., track and manage trial exhibits, coordinate with witnesses, operate courtroom presentation tools, act as liaison with court personnel, and summarize trial testimony)
- Accurately and completely record billable time spent and tasks performed in accordance with firm policy and client-imposed billing protocols; enter and release time promptly in compliance with the firm’s announced deadlines
- Accurately and promptly submit records of hours worked in compliance with the firm’s established deadlines
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance and punctuality. Adhere to schedule by being timely on breaks, lunches and meetings
- Accept and perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Join us if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred and completion of paralegal program of study required
- 5+ years of paralegal experience preferred; healthcare experience desirable
- Knowledge of court and agency procedures and rules
- Highly developed skills in time and task management
- Highly developed attention to detail in striving for perfection in the firm’s work product and client service
- Advanced proficiency in Relativity and eDiscovery required
- Advanced proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office required (Word, Excel, and Outlook) for the creation and editing of complex documents, spreadsheets, and e-mail, including, but not limited to a very strong proficiency in Excel, sufficient to manage voluminous claim sets, perform complex pivot tables, V-Lookups and inventories
- Proficiency in the use of computerized legal research and document review/hosting databases; like LexisNexis, Westlaw, PACER, IPRO for performance of legal and fact research and highly advanced proficiency in Relativity and effective management of complex eDiscovery, evidence and case files
- Proficiency in the use of trial support software, like Trial Director and OnCue, very desirable
- Experience in supporting complex commercial litigation matters across multiple offices in multiple jurisdictions preferred
- Post-college level writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with lawyers, clients and staff
- High degree of attention to detail
- Flexibility to work overtime and/or travel on occasion
Who We Are
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm with 11 offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
What’s in it For You?
DWT offers competitive compensation in addition to ample benefits including but not limited to:
- Choice of health and vision insurance plans
- 2 paid volunteer days for qualifying community service work
- Dental plan
- Fertility and adoption benefit
- Paid sabbatical after 13 years of service
- Tuition reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Retirement contribution
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
The annualized salary range for this position Sacramento is $96,000 - $140,000 ($49.23 - $71.79 hourly). Actual pay will be adjusted based on experience and other job-related factors permitted by law. Full time employees may be eligible for a bonus, health insurance with an optional HSA, short term disability, long term disability, dental insurance, vision care, life insurance, Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts, 401(k), vacation, sick time, and an employee assistance program. Additional voluntary programs include: voluntary accident insurance, voluntary life, voluntary disability, voluntary long term care, voluntary critical illness and cancer insurance and pet insurance. Commuter and Transit programs are also available.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP embraces diversity, equity and inclusion. It brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are part of the fabric of Davis Wright Tremaine-central to who we are and what we do. Our vision is to foster a culture where all talented individuals-including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the legal profession-can have, and can see, a path to success. In order to support this vision, we request that you voluntarily provide the following demographic data for your candidate. All self-reported demographic information is stored securely in a manner that is compliant with DWT’s privacy and security policies and is only accessible by authorized members of the Talent Acquisition and HR Departments; it is not shared with any of the hiring decision-makers.
Davis Wright Tremaine provides reasonable accommodations for those who need them to complete the application or recruiting process and for employees who need reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their positions due to a disability or for religious reasons. If you need to request accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please email CarrieMcIntyre@dwt.com.
Pay: $96,000 to $140,000/year
It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.<br><br><span>The annualized salary range for this position Sacramento is $96,000 - $140,000 ($49.23 - $71.79 hourly)
Job Reference #: oOWSlfwH