Director of Accounting Operations
Combine accounting and operations expertise to guide high performing accounting teams in a data driven law firm
Davis Wright Tremaine is a 600-attorney, AMLaw-100 firm having some of the best years in its history. To keep growing that success, we need a Director of Accounting Operations who can energetically lead and improve our accounting, financial analysis, and tax departments. This dual-skill role will serve as controller of the firm, while also operationalizing best practices around the organization. Our firm recently designed and built a best-in-class analytics platform responsive to the ever changing needs of our lawyers and clients, so anyone joining our future-facing team must love data.
This might be for you if:
- You’re looking for the right management position or launch pad to prove out some of the innovative practices that you’ve assembled in your own play book
- You want to be an active voice in a fast-paced executive group that sets goals laser-focused on value to the firm
- You get great satisfaction from helping your staff develop and exceeding their own expectations
- You’ve made a science around building systems and processes that allow successful ideas to scale
- Your mornings include pairing your breakfast with recent commentaries on the Wayfair laws and LIBOR reform and then reviewing new developments in RPA operations for good measure
- You enjoy working shoulder to shoulder with top law partners, learning how their law practices work, and discovering new revenue levers for each one
- You thrive in ambiguity, bring order to chaos, and tenaciously own an issue until its fully resolved
What you’ll do:
- Exhibit humility, hunger, and excellent business judgment as a model leader to your teams
- Manage all accounting operations including: accounts payable, attorney compensation, firm payroll, tax/audit, accounting, and financial analysis functions
- Apply your superior accounting knowledge to challenging issues in the law firm, such as attorney evaluation and compensation, profit sharing formulas, and professional organization licensing.
- Have oversight on the financial posture, practices, and policies of the law firm, including banking and outside vendor relationships
- Become a subject matter expert in our financial transaction system and our firm metrics and analytics platform
- Work side by side with our Director of Client Accounts and Billing to achieve goals set by the CFO and firm leadership
What might make you ideal:
- Schooling in finance and accounting, a CPA is preferred
- Proven success in
- public accounting or professional services,
- building and maintaining high-performing teams,
- giving guidance to lawyers or other professionals, and
- managing up to clients and leaders, down to staff, and across to peers
- In-your-sleep familiarity with GAAP practices and analyzing the G&L and income statements
- Very strong Excel and Microsoft Office Suite skills, SQL or other relational database knowhow is preferred
- Very strong quantitative skills
- Very strong communication skills, professionally sketching an idea in PowerPoint is preferred
- Experience with standard law firm processes such as partnership evaluation, attorney compensation, fee declarations, shareholder distributions, preferred
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.