Accounting + People Management
The Billing Supervisor supervises and leads the Billing team, ensuring that they are meeting the needs and goals of the firm by producing timely, high quality work product and customer service. The billing department is the core of the firm - we drive revenue by translating and communicating the value of the billable hour to our clients. The Billing Supervisor also serves as an expert with regard to the billing applications, advises on accounting policies and procedures, and works with Billing Manager on projects and initiatives.
If you are ready to step into a leadership role in a well-established law firm, we want to hear from you.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth, community involvement, and a culture of inclusion. Regardless of position, everyone here has a voice and the support is unparalleled. DWT fosters inclusiveness and authenticity.
Join us if you can:
- Provide day to day supervision for the billing team, including managing staffing levels, coverage and scheduling
- Partner with the Billing Manager to conduct annual performance reviews, determine compensation, provide coaching and handle any employee relations issues
- Monitor and ensure that the billing work product is timely, accurate, and meets the needs of our clients and attorneys; provide periodic reporting regarding the productivity of the billing team
- Act as a knowledgeable resource for the billing team, the Accounting department, and internal contacts, with regard to billing applications, policies and procedures
- Collaborate with the Billing Manager in establishing, documenting and maintaining billing department policies and procedures to enhance efficiency; identify and implement process improvements to increase efficiency and accuracy
- Work directly with lawyers, individually or in a group, to resolve issues, discuss new initiatives or provide training
- Review new and current client engagements and guidelines for billing related special instructions and agreements
- Perform special projects and research as requested including past/present balances, unbilled/billed fee statuses, bill revisions and production
- Research and respond to internal and external client inquiries by telephone an email, conferring with lawyers regarding bill content, concerns, and request when appropriate
- Collaborate with lawyers and legal staff regarding special billing arrangements, billing system capabilities and billing plans
- Participate in the on-boarding process for new lawyers including on-boarding orientations
- Perform special technical projects as requested by the Billing Manager
Join us if you have:
- 5+ years accounting experience with an emphasis on billing and a demonstrated record of increasing responsibilities, and 3+ years supervisory experience with a staff of 6 or more
- College degree in finance or Accounting, strongly preferred
- Demonstrated understanding and proficiency with Aderant Expert Billing or similar comprehensive or enterprise-level accounting software experience
- Demonstrated ability to perform advanced spreadsheet functions in Excel
- Advanced knowledge of accounting policies, procedures and applications
- Previous experience in a law-firm or professional services organization, supporting a multi-office environment, strongly preferred
- Ability to establish effective working relationships throughout operational groups
- Demonstrated supervisory ability to effectively train, apply good judgment and provide direction to team of employees
- Strong customer service, problem solving and communication skills, both verbal and written, with all levels of a professional services organization, including interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle stressful situations in a calm, composed manner
- Ability to train others, establish the confidence of your staff, and apply good judgment
- A strong attention to detail and quality control
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies quickly and independently
- Must be a team player and have ability to work independently, with minimal supervision
- Must perform well under pressure and execute assignments with minimal direction. Advanced skill level of standard MS Office applications, specifically Excel and Word
Five or more years of accounting experience and three years of supervisory experience is helpful, but candidates with non-traditional backgrounds who have transferrable skills to succeed are encouraged to apply.
Who We Are
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm with six offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
What’s in it For You?
DWT offers competitive compensation in addition to ample benefits including but not limited to:
- Choice of health and vision insurance plans
- Paid vacation and sick time
- 2 paid volunteer days for qualifying community service work
- Dental plan
- Fertility and adoption benefit
- Paid sabbatical after 13 years of service
- Tuition reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Retirement contribution
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP embraces diversity and inclusion. It brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.