Start your career in accounting and client services!
Billing/Collection Specialists are business partners to our attorneys and are integral to client relationships – they translate and communicate the value of the billable hour to our clients through accurate processing of client invoices, maintaining work-in-progress records, monitoring time entry deadlines, editing billing memos, and other tasks as assigned.
In this role, you will also serve as back-up to Portland Collections, working with internal accounting teams, attorneys, secretaries, and firm clients to resolve outstanding invoice issues. As a specialist, you will independently manage your assigned client accounts and take initiative to review and resolve client accounts before they become uncollectible.
If you are looking to start a career in a well-established law firm, we want to hear from you.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion. DWT fosters inclusiveness and authenticity. Regardless of position, everyone here has a voice and the support is unparalleled.
On a typical day you will:
- Use Aderant Expert Billing to process pre-bills and generate invoices in compliance with attorney instructions and client guidelines
- Work in collaboration with electronic billing department and other Accounting teams to ensure invoices are processed in a timely manner
- Ensure that the billing work product is accurate and meets the needs of our clients and attorneys
- Guarantee the correct set-up of client/matter information and invoice templates
- Respond to attorney inquiries regarding work-in-progress records and general billing requests
- Monitor and collect assigned accounts receivable; exhibit good judgment in escalating unresolved issues to management
- Use firm’s collections software to manage client accounts and keep an accurate record of communications, contacts, payments, deadlines, attorney preferences, and other pertinent information
- Develop and independently manage a process to meet multiple overlapping deadlines
- Generate and distribute template reminder statements; use verbal and written communication to send custom payment inquiries
- Produce various statistical reports and spreadsheets
- Maintain work-in-progress records and update upon request
- Assist with accounting projects, as needed, to promote best practices
- Work overtime as needed
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance and punctuality; adhere to schedule by being timely on breaks, lunches and meetings
Join us if you have:
- 1+ years of relevant experience in a professional office environment with strong customer service experience required, preferably in a legal environment
- A Bachelor’s degree preferred (Finance or Accounting degree a plus)
- Previous experience in a professional services organization, supporting a multi-office environment, preferred
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to build effective relationships with all levels of staff and attorneys
- Exhibit a high-degree of critical thinking
- Ability to problem-solve
- High degree of accuracy, attention to detail, and quality control
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and adapt to heavy workloads and new assignments in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work overtime as needed
A Bachelor’s degree and a background in billing or accounting is helpful, but we are open to candidates from non-traditional backgrounds who have transferrable skills to succeed.
Who We Are
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm with eight offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
What’s in it For You?
DWT offers competitive compensation in addition to ample benefits including but not limited to:
- Choice of health and vision insurance plans
- 2 paid volunteer days for qualifying community service work
- Dental plan
- Fertility and adoption benefit
- Paid sabbatical after 13 years of service
- Tuition reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Retirement contribution
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP embraces diversity, equity and inclusion. It brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.