This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S.! Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is looking for a Benefits Manager to join the Human Resources team in our Seattle office.
This position manages all functions associated with the firm-wide administration of partner and employee benefits programs including compliance with reporting requirements as mandated by federal and state laws.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion and innovation.
In this role, you will:
- Partner with the insurance broker to analyze, design and administer partner and employee benefits programs, ensuring efficient and high quality delivery of benefits
- Partner with the Retirement Plan consultant to analyze, design, monitor and administer both defined contribution and defined benefit retirement plans
- In partnership with the Chair of the Employee Benefits Committee, manage the activities of the Committee. Develop agenda for monthly meetings, ensure issues requiring Committee vote are brought to the committee, work with health and welfare insurance broker and retirement plan consultant to update Committee on performance of the plans
- Remain abreast of partner and employee issues and trends in benefits offered by other organizations to recommend new or revised programs to Firm management
- Manage the design and development of informational resources to assist partners and employees in benefits selection
- Direct the preparation and distribution of written, verbal and other forms of communications to inform partners and employees of benefits offerings and changes
- Plan, direct, supervise, counsel and coordinate work activities of the benefits team
- Ensure workload of the benefits team is processed accurately and in a timely manner
- Act as a mediator in benefits coverage issues that exist between benefits providers and partners/employees, engaging insurance broker or consultants as needed
- Ensure compliance with relevant federal, state and local laws and advise management on needed compliance actions
- Direct the maintenance of benefit records by developing and implementing efficient recordkeeping systems
- Resolve partner and employee questions and problems by interpreting policies and procedures
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional associations
- Achieve financial objectives by preparing operational budgets, scheduling expenditures, and analyzing variances
- Develop and evolve the Firm’s “total benefits” program
- Partner with managers to develop promotion and retention strategies
Join us if you have:
- At least five years of progressive experience in the management of the employee benefits function, preferably in a law firm or other professional services environment
- Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS) designation or comparable knowledge/certification
- Strong working knowledge of an HR Information System (HRIS), preferably UltiPro
- Demonstrated experience with federal and state laws governing employee benefits
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong working knowledge of MS Word and Excel required. Solid experience tracking data through the use of HR information systems and spreadsheets
- Current knowledge of relevant federal and state benefits-related laws and regulations
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.