Attorney Compensation Manager
Attorney Compensation Manager
This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S. Davis Wright Tremaine has been named "Innovative Law Firm of the Year" for the past two years by members of the International Legal Technology Association (ILTA).
This position develops, implements, and manages the attorney and staff compensation programs for a law partnership of 500+ attorneys. Ensures attorney and staff compensation models are effective, well understood and are readily articulated to practice leadership, senior management and other compensation decision-makers within the firm while ensuring compliance with state and federal regulatory requirements.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serves as the primary point of contact and subject matter expert in determining and setting attorney and staff compensation as it comports with the firm’s overall compensation philosophy.
- Identifies arrangements/transactions to be reviewed by practice and office leadership with regards to the setting of annual compensation for the firm’s attorneys whose compensation is determined by way of individual contract, i.e. contract partners, counsel, of counsel (generally).
- Develops criteria for an annual review of associate compensation including salaries and bonus structures working with practice and office attorney leadership including senior management.
- Works with Financial Planning and Analysis Group to ensure existing and changes in compensation structure are included in the operating budget for the coming year.
- Provides on-going and continual analysis of the market on attorney compensation practices as well as best practices across the country with regard to model design and application to ensure market competitiveness.
- Ensures that attorney compensation models are internally equitable and the models perform properly and consistently.
- Oversees the collection of quality data for use in the calculation of incentive payments.
- Works closely with Payroll staff to ensure the timely and accurate processing of all attorney incentive payments.
- Works with Financial Planning and Analysis Group and provides responses as appropriate to industry surveys relevant to compensation practices, e.g. Citigroup Survey, PricewaterhouseCoopers, AMLAW.
- Develops and implements plans to achieve goals and objectives for area(s) assigned.
- Establishes continuous performance improvement plans for department to achieve operational efficiencies and quality standards.
- Develops, implements, monitors, keeps current department(s) policies and procedures.
- Leads and/or participates in projects, programs, and initiatives as required.
- Develops and implements special projects as assigned related to area of responsibility.
- Develops annual and capital budgets for area(s) of responsibility.
- Manages resources and operates within approved budget.
- 7+ years’ accounting experience with a demonstrated emphasis on compensation systems with a record of increasing responsibilities.
- College degree in finance, economics, statistics, mathematics or accounting, strongly preferred.
- Master in Business Administration with emphasis on finance, economics, statistics or accounting, strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead initiatives and discussions regarding policy, procedures and direct contact with attorneys and staff regarding compensation.
- Previous experience in a law-firm or professional services organization, supporting a multi-office environment, preferred.
- Must perform well under pressure and execute assignments with minimal direction; advanced skill level of standard MS Office applications, specifically Excel and Word and Power Point.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships throughout operational groups.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively apply good judgment and use powers of persuasion to positively influence practice and office leadership, lateral peers and other colleagues, as well as senior management.
- Strong customer service, problem solving and communication skills, both verbal and written, with all levels of a professional services organization, including interpersonal skills, required.
- Ability to handle stressful situations in a calm, composed manner.
- A strong attention to detail and quality control.
- Ability to be open to change.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies quickly and independently.