Administrative Secretary (Entry-Level Legal Support)
This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S.! Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is looking for an Administrative Secretary to join our team in our San Francisco office.
This is an administrative support position designed to assist executive legal secretaries and other administrative staff on a task basis. This position is required to complete all provided training programs. We value entrepreneurial self-starters who bring innovative solutions to the table. If you are detail-oriented and possess strong administrative, organizational, and interpersonal skills, we want to talk to you.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion. DWT fosters inclusiveness and authenticity. Regardless of position, everyone here has a voice and the support is unparalleled.
On a typical day you will:
- Assist executive legal secretaries and other administrative staff with assigned tasks which may include administrative tasks, enter attorney time, prepare and submit expense reimbursement reports and check requests, make travel arrangements, prepare binders, organize files, schedule conference rooms using Resource Scheduler and arrange for food service and audio-visual equipment as needed, and other projects as assigned
- Docket reminders and deadlines as needed
- Assist with billing (cover letters, prebills and invoices, reports)
- Open and route mail, attaching appropriate files and documents
- Moderate interaction with clients; act as intermediary with clients and responds to client requests
- Regularly type, proofread, run comparisons, and edit correspondence, memoranda, agreements and other legal and business documents from notes, templates, and drafts, under time sensitive deadlines
- Communicate clearly with all appropriate team members on project status
- Assist with transaction closings
- Conduct internet research if requested
- Occasionally assist with editing and finalizing legal briefs, prepare and mark all exhibits, set up Data Room, upload documents, send out service emails and corresponding Data Room links
- Occasionally file pleadings with the court
- Maintain attorney and client records; maintain email and electronic records
- Schedule and coordinate appointments, meetings and conference calls and maintain calendars
- Answer, screen, and respond to phone calls
- Assist fellow assistants and additional attorneys as needed
- Assign appropriate tasks to word processing, file room and other support staff; follow up on status of all projects to ensure timely completion
- Attend training classes
- Open new client and new matter files
- Check in regularly with secretary, paralegal and/or attorney to ensure all aspects of any project are under control. Prompt as needed. Exercise careful judgment about when to ask for guidance
Join us if you have:
- Self-starter with a high degree of attention to detail
- Ability to accurately type 50+ wpm
- General knowledge and proficiency with Microsoft Office products
- Bilingual (Spanish and English) strongly preferred. If applicable, you will provide Spanish and English customer service to clients, leveraging your excellent listening skills and empathy to answer questions and provide information.
- Ability and willingness to learn new programs and program updates
- Ability to express self effectively, both orally and in writing
- Excellent grammar and proofreading skills
- A highly professional demeanor and appearance
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, service focused environment and to handle stressful situations in calm, composed manner
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to complete projects with minimal supervision
- Ability to follow client confidentiality guidelines
Who We Are
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm with eight offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
What’s in it For You?
DWT offers competitive compensation in addition to ample benefits including but not limited to:
- Choice of health and vision insurance plans
- 2 paid volunteer days for qualifying community service work
- Dental plan
- Fertility and adoption benefit
- Paid sabbatical after 13 years of service
- Tuition reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Retirement contribution
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are part of the fabric of Davis Wright Tremaine-central to who we are and what we do. Our vision is to foster a culture where all talented individuals-including those from traditionally underrepresented populations-can have, and can see, a path to success. We are committed to fostering DEI because it makes our firm better, in every way. At DWT, every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.
Davis Wright Tremaine provides reasonable accommodations for those who need them to complete the application or recruiting process and for employees who need reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their positions due to a disability or for religious reasons. If you need to request accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.